Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Browser update for Version 13.0.5

Is there a way to update Safari 13.0.5 on my Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3? A few websites I use say my browser needs to be updated and won't fully load pages. It seems like there should be a way to continue using my iMac efficiently since it is not that old.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:10 PM

To update Safari from 13.0.5 you would need to upgrade the macOS on your iMac.

The model year of an iMac is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A late 2012 through late 2013 iMac can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2014 and late 2014 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A late 2015 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12. See:How to download macOS - Apple Support

A 2017 or later iMac can be upgraded to the current version of Ventura macOS 13. See: How to upgrade to macOS Ventura - Apple Support

If you can't or don't want to upgrade the macOS, you may want to consider, for security reasons, using a 3rd party internet browser that supports running its current version on Catalina. One option is Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 3:10 PM in response to 2bees1984

To update Safari from 13.0.5 you would need to upgrade the macOS on your iMac.

The model year of an iMac is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A late 2012 through late 2013 iMac can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2014 and late 2014 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A late 2015 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12. See:How to download macOS - Apple Support

A 2017 or later iMac can be upgraded to the current version of Ventura macOS 13. See: How to upgrade to macOS Ventura - Apple Support

If you can't or don't want to upgrade the macOS, you may want to consider, for security reasons, using a 3rd party internet browser that supports running its current version on Catalina. One option is Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/

Dec 17, 2022 8:49 AM in response to 2bees1984

Personally I like Chrome but Firefox is good too (but not as popular in terms of total number of users).

I wouldn't get it from the App Store (sounds like someone may be trying to make some money - that app offers in-app purchases).

Both Crome and Firefox are free directly from the developers: https://www.google.com/chrome/

and

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Dec 17, 2022 11:10 AM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks so much for your help with this. I had tried to use Firefox/Google Chrome in the past but received a message I couldn't open because the app wasn't loaded from the App Store and thought I needed to purchase one to use. I now realize all I needed to do was change my security settings to accept the browser(s) from elsewhere. You've been very helpful and I thank you. It worked...Happy Holidays!!!

Dec 19, 2022 10:02 AM in response to 2bees1984

These days the version of Safari the user can update to is tied to the version of macOS they are running. That means if you don’t keep up with both hardware and software advances you eventually get stuck on a version of Safari that starts to fall behind in technology and security. It’s the main reason why users who stay with older hardware and older versions of macOS are pretty much forced to move to third party browsers like Firefox and Chrome.

Why Apple has chosen this route is their business but I, for one, don’t agree with it.

Dec 19, 2022 12:14 PM in response to lkrupp

Thanks for your note. I agree, it does seem like we faithful Apple users have to resort to third party browsers in order to keep our Mac's running efficiently. My desktop is not that old! But, thank heaven for Firefox and Chrome and people, like you, in the Apple Community. Your responses to my predicament were very helpful and solved my problem.

Safari Browser update for Version 13.0.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.