Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New HomeKit architecture in iOS 16.2 - Upgrade All Homes - HomePod Software Update Fail

Having successfully updated my iPhone 13 ProMax, iPadPro 12.9 [5th Gen], Apple TV 4k [2nd Gen] and two HomePod Minis to v16.2 [configured as stereo pair], I want to switch to the New HomeKit architecture that iOS 16.2 provides.

The architecture switching is provided via the Home App (on my iPhone) by selecting Home Settings/Software Update which reveals a  dialogue box that states: ‘Home now has a new underlying architecture that will improve the performance of your homes’ and offers a button “Learn More”. Clicking on this ‘Learn More’ button reveals a new page Titled: ‘Upgrade All Homes’ and provides a new button labelled  ‘Continue’.

Clicking on the ‘Continue’ button produces a new page that states: ‘HomePod Software Update Required’ and includes a new button labelled ‘Update Now’. When I click on the ‘Update Now’ button I get a modal dialogue box whose message states: ‘Cannot Complete Update There are no available HomePod updates.’

The only option at this point is to click ‘OK’ which returns me to the ‘HomePod Software Update Required’ page.

There are indeed no HomePod updates because my HomePods are already updated to 16.2! So the New HomeKit Architecture update process seems to be unaware that 16.2 is already installed on both HomePods . . . and so I am unable to upgrade!

I would be grateful for any advice as I have a bunch of Phillips Hue and Eve Cams/Outdoor Cams.  They all work well with the previous (for me current!) HomeKit architecture apart from the Eve Outdoor Cam which often goes into an ‘Idle’ mode and stops doing its main job! I an interested to see if the new HomeKit architecture helps in this respect. [Regarding the Eve Outdoor Cam - I have been dialoguing with Eve and have changed my router and the EOC itself and the Idle issue persists.]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 3:38 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 18, 2022 9:33 AM in response to AliSoh

I am having this problem too.

When I inspect my HomePods in the HomeKit App on my iPhone or my iPad, they all show up as updated to 16.2 and "Not playing." HOWEVER, when I inspect them with the App on my Laptop, one of them shows that it is updated but still "Configuring." This may be causing the upgrade failure.

Not sure why there is a difference between the status shown in iOS vs MacOS. This seems to be a glitch.

Dec 18, 2022 11:03 AM in response to vitamix129

Yes! That worked! I did indeed have an empty additional Home that I deleted and then I was able to complete the upgrade successfully with a warning that my MacBook Pro will not be compatible as it still runs Monterey.

(I run a lot of of Music apps and all the app publishers’ advice is to hold off updating to Ventura just yet so that they continue to place nicely with MacOS.)

I am looking forward to see if the new architecture makes any difference- I hope it improves the reliability of my otherwise superb Eve Outdoor Cam.

Thank you Vitamix129 - you are a complete star!

New HomeKit architecture in iOS 16.2 - Upgrade All Homes - HomePod Software Update Fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.