Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use new apple id without losing data of the old apple id in my ipad?

Hello, I have given my old ipad to my daughter, in which she has been using for over a year now. The ipad is still using my apple id for app purchases and all icloud related data. She now wants to create her own apple id and use in that ipad.. How can I do that without losing any data/apps in that ipad?

iPad (10th gen) WiFi

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 8:26 AM

Simply sign out of your ID and sign in with hers without erasing the device. As she does so she will be asked various times if she wants to keep the existing data. Say yes to the ones you want her to keep. You may also want to go through various Settings and make sure there aren't any still set to your ID, or for things you do not want her to have. If something is set to your ID and it uses iCloud you may suddenly find things changing on your device as she changes them on hers. In theory you would do a full erase before giving her the phone but since you do not want to do that...

Note that while apps will be kept, in order to update them or redownload content purchased with your ID, she will not be able to get them with her ID unless you turn on Family Sharing and share the purchases with her.

Articles you may find useful:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

How to download apps and content that your family members purchased - Apple Support

How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2022 8:26 AM in response to emfung

Simply sign out of your ID and sign in with hers without erasing the device. As she does so she will be asked various times if she wants to keep the existing data. Say yes to the ones you want her to keep. You may also want to go through various Settings and make sure there aren't any still set to your ID, or for things you do not want her to have. If something is set to your ID and it uses iCloud you may suddenly find things changing on your device as she changes them on hers. In theory you would do a full erase before giving her the phone but since you do not want to do that...

Note that while apps will be kept, in order to update them or redownload content purchased with your ID, she will not be able to get them with her ID unless you turn on Family Sharing and share the purchases with her.

Articles you may find useful:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

How to download apps and content that your family members purchased - Apple Support

How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

How to use new apple id without losing data of the old apple id in my ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.