Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD Card Reader Not Working

I recently updated to Monterey 12.6.2 from 12.6.1. After the update, the SD Card Reader no longer works. Worked fine up thru 12.6.1. Have tried multiple SD cards and none will work. Tested the same cards in an external reader via USB 2.0 All test cards mounted and worked correctly in the external reader. The Mini had successfully read all the test cards via the onboard SD Card Reader before the update.

Followed suggestions to "clean" the slot with a non-metal toothpick and used compressed air to blow out the slot. Neither helped. Found a suggestion to restart the USB daemon via Terminal. Did not work.

I've seen this problem discussed about 12.6.1, never on 12.6.2. The solution to fixing on 12.6.1 was to update to 12.6.2. That's when mine stopped working.

Any help would be appreciated.

2014 Mac Mini, 16GB Ram, 1TB Fusion Drive

Mac mini, 12.6

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 2:22 PM

Seems to be a random issue where it may work after an update or in your case not. All you can do is an SMC and PRAM (NVRAM) reset and see if that helps. I used an external SD card reader until it cleared up the next OS update I did.

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

2 replies

SD Card Reader Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.