Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how duplicate photos

How do you create a duplicate folder for photos that you've edited? I'd like to keep the original and be able to compare it to the edited version.

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 12:00 PM

You don't have to duplicate the physical image file because Photos keeps the editing in its database and applies it to the ;preview version for viewing within the library.

If you need the original file just export it using the File ➙ Export ➙ Unmodified Original menu option.

You can also create a Smart Album with the following criteria:

Remember when you edit a photo every occurrences of it in the library will be edited. You always go back into the edit mode and undo the editing if you need the original. OR you can Control (right) - click on an image and select duplicate from the contextual menu if you want to perform a different edit. Duplicating this way does not actually create a new image file in the library. It's all down with smoke and mirrors and databases.

Hope I haven confused you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 12:00 PM in response to rayirzur124

You don't have to duplicate the physical image file because Photos keeps the editing in its database and applies it to the ;preview version for viewing within the library.

If you need the original file just export it using the File ➙ Export ➙ Unmodified Original menu option.

You can also create a Smart Album with the following criteria:

Remember when you edit a photo every occurrences of it in the library will be edited. You always go back into the edit mode and undo the editing if you need the original. OR you can Control (right) - click on an image and select duplicate from the contextual menu if you want to perform a different edit. Duplicating this way does not actually create a new image file in the library. It's all down with smoke and mirrors and databases.

Hope I haven confused you.

how duplicate photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.