Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Display problem

Hi there,

I have a Macbook Pro 2019 Intel (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) laptop. Over the last 2 weeks the display has started to show impressions of windows from behind the active window. I think this is called ghosting? The colours are also totally off even after changing the colour profile to default settings. I've tried everything to reset the machine (advised via this link: MacBook Pro monitor ghosting - Apple Community) apart from restoring the laptop to its original factory setting and reinstalling all software (very time consuming and a pain to do). I'm reading that other Macbook Pro users with machines of a similar age are experiencing the same problems. Is this an issue with a faulty retina screen? The problem goes away when I use an external monitor. Any advice is much appreciated.

cheers

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 12:30 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 19, 2022 7:01 AM in response to kxixubn

kxixubn wrote:

Hi there,
I have a Macbook Pro 2019 Intel (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) laptop. Over the last 2 weeks the display has started to show impressions of windows from behind the active window. I think this is called ghosting? The colours are also totally off even after changing the colour profile to default settings. I've tried everything to reset the machine (advised via this link: MacBook Pro monitor ghosting - Apple Community) apart from restoring the laptop to its original factory setting and reinstalling all software (very time consuming and a pain to do). I'm reading that other Macbook Pro users with machines of a similar age are experiencing the same problems. Is this an issue with a faulty retina screen? The problem goes away when I use an external monitor. Any advice is much appreciated.
cheers

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/be66f3c5-293f-4c48-a2be-fb568bfbd3b0

well if that screen shot is suppose to represent something— I do not see it.

You do not really clarify the exact Mac— is this the 16" MBP 2019 (?) If so it has two GPU's.

An external monitor always use the Discreet GPU.

The Integrated GPU is the default unless something demands the Discreet GPU,

for ex. Photos.app will trigger the Discreet GPU running in the background.

You can see this from the >About this Mac

default Integrated GPU:

Photo.app launched to trigger Discreet GPU (must refresh the window here) :

".. apart from restoring the laptop to its original factory setting and reinstalling all software (very time consuming and a pain to do)."

OK. If not software then it is hardware— you can try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies. Third party kernel extension are not loaded, system cache files refreshed etc to trouble shoot.

If not a Intel GPU issue...

The other possibility is your Display/Display cable has a fault— for hardware issues either way I would take it in:

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Dec 20, 2022 12:44 PM in response to kxixubn

kxixubn wrote:

Many thanks for responding. That's very helpful. I really appreciate the time you took.

So following your advice here's what I did:

I tried a safe boot but the problem persists.

I connected to a monitor (works fine on the monitor) and you're right - my machine does have 2 GPU's - I took a screenshot (below). Does this mean it could potentially be the Intel GPU or the retina display that is at fault?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a13d97e2-1d47-4ebd-9659-82dc13f3d6d4

You're right - the image that I uploaded isn't showing the issue - it should show the text from one app (e.g. word or chrome) showing through the active app (e.g. music software). Is this called 'ghosting'?? And the colour is really messed up. I've attached two more images (below) which I hope show the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6bdbf70c-2568-47ca-a5e7-01d1e11da7f6
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/8aeac570-e0f7-4556-88eb-66938cc0a6da

- and thanks, I need to check the warranty situation!

Cheers

I do not fully understand how the 1st image was generated—that shows no issue...to be able to say more.

What I can say— screen shots come directly from the GPU—the GPU that is in play at the time(?) independent of the Display.

I suspect with out combing through all the details above again— you have a hardware issue, I surmise GPU. This would be a logic board replacement.

Take it for a definite analysis, and go from there.

Dec 20, 2022 12:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

Many thanks for responding. That's very helpful. I really appreciate the time you took.

So following your advice here's what I did:

I tried a safe boot but the problem persists.

I connected to a monitor (works fine on the monitor) and you're right - my machine does have 2 GPU's - I took a screenshot (below). Does this mean it could potentially be the Intel GPU or the retina display that is at fault?

You're right - the image that I uploaded isn't showing the issue - it should show the text from one app (e.g. word or chrome) showing through the active app (e.g. music software). Is this called 'ghosting'?? And the colour is really messed up. I've attached two more images (below) which I hope show the problem.

- and thanks, I need to check the warranty situation!

Cheers

Macbook Pro Display problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.