Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy files from external SSD to Macbook pro

Hello all, my 2011 HP Pavilion Laptop, with MS Windows 7, died. It contained both a SSD and HDD. I have removed both from the Laptop. I would like to copy all files, Apple music, etc. to my new MacBook Pro 2021. Can this be done, if so How? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 2:35 PM

Hi Ahric,

You'll most likely need a SATA (power + data) to USB cable to connect each drive to your MacBook Pro 2021. You'll also need a USB to USB-C adapter, unless the SATA cable has a USB-C connector on the other end.

You should be able to access the data on the drives, assuming that:

• The drives are physically ok
  • The data is in good condition on the drives
  • The hard drive is 2.5" in size, and not 3.5". If you have a 3.5" hard drive, you'll need an external power source to power the drive, and a separate SATA data cable to connect the hard drive to your MacBook Pro.

If BitLocker or Device Encryption (Windows equivalent of FileVault) was enabled on your Windows laptop, the drive data will be encrypted and your Mac won't be able to access it. You'll need one of the following to access the data:

• Another Windows computer (ideally running Windows 10 or later), which can be used to decrypt the drive(s),
  • A Windows 11 ARM virtual machine and supported hypervisor (e.g. Parallels Desktop),
  • A Mac-compatible app that can unlock and decrypt the drives.

NOTE: The default filesystem for Windows is NTFS. macOS can read (access), but not write (make changes) to NTFS-formatted volumes. If you need to modify the data on the drives from the Windows computer, there are apps available (such as Paragon NTFS for Mac) that can read and write to NTFS volumes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 2:35 PM in response to Ahric

Hi Ahric,

You'll most likely need a SATA (power + data) to USB cable to connect each drive to your MacBook Pro 2021. You'll also need a USB to USB-C adapter, unless the SATA cable has a USB-C connector on the other end.

You should be able to access the data on the drives, assuming that:

• The drives are physically ok
  • The data is in good condition on the drives
  • The hard drive is 2.5" in size, and not 3.5". If you have a 3.5" hard drive, you'll need an external power source to power the drive, and a separate SATA data cable to connect the hard drive to your MacBook Pro.

If BitLocker or Device Encryption (Windows equivalent of FileVault) was enabled on your Windows laptop, the drive data will be encrypted and your Mac won't be able to access it. You'll need one of the following to access the data:

• Another Windows computer (ideally running Windows 10 or later), which can be used to decrypt the drive(s),
  • A Windows 11 ARM virtual machine and supported hypervisor (e.g. Parallels Desktop),
  • A Mac-compatible app that can unlock and decrypt the drives.

NOTE: The default filesystem for Windows is NTFS. macOS can read (access), but not write (make changes) to NTFS-formatted volumes. If you need to modify the data on the drives from the Windows computer, there are apps available (such as Paragon NTFS for Mac) that can read and write to NTFS volumes.

Dec 18, 2022 3:41 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Encryptor5000-

Thank you for the info... greatly appreciated. I do have the SATA to USB cable + a USB-C adaptor.

• Both the SSD and HDD, are physically ok
  • Data is in good condition
  • HDD is 2.5" in size

Not sure if BitLocker or Device Encryption was enabled... I don't believe that they were enabled, however, once I start the process, if indeed they were, I will consider options 1 or 3, if required...I hope not.

The plan is to copy the files to my Macbook pro (my primary personal device), as I am transitioning from Windows to IOS. So based on your response above, I will also plan to secure an app such as Paragon FTFS for MAC...

My work laptops are windows, however, my personal devices are now all within the apple universe.

Thanks again, and I will let you know how things turn out.

copy files from external SSD to Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.