Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will macOS 11 Big Sur Recognize External Hard Drives That Were Formatted Using macOS 10.15.x Catalina

A friend gave me a new iMac for Christmas 2019. He had gotten it from one of those financing places. My friend died last week, and I have been told I have to give the computer back to the company.

I will be able to afford to buy another iMac next Spring, but by then it will be macOS 11 Big Sur, instead of macOS 10.15.x Catalina.

I have a back up external drive and a couple of other externals for music, documents and miscellaneous files. Is it possible that the new OS will be able to read the external drives I have in use now, since they are formatted using Apple's new filing system, which I would think the next OS will use as well?

I do not want to lose anything, thus the questions, but am afraid of what might happen once I plug them into a computer with the new macOS 11 Big Sur. Is it possible that instead of using my back up, once I get ready to box up this iMac, that I would be able to use Migration Assistant instead? But if I do not use my back up, do I stand a chance of losing access to some apps which I have purchased?

Any help, ideas, feedback or resources would be greatly appreciated.

This really is something, my friend's death and having to return the computer, I had never expected to have happened.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 10:54 PM

1. Sorry for your loss.
  2. You're worrying needlessly. The back ups and the drives will work just the same.
  3. If you purchased apps on the App Store then you can log in again using the same Apple ID and they will be there for you to download.
  4. If you bought apps from other sources, then retain the emails that you got from these vendors to reclaim your apps when your new machine arrives.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2020 10:54 PM in response to AntBee

1. Sorry for your loss.
  2. You're worrying needlessly. The back ups and the drives will work just the same.
  3. If you purchased apps on the App Store then you can log in again using the same Apple ID and they will be there for you to download.
  4. If you bought apps from other sources, then retain the emails that you got from these vendors to reclaim your apps when your new machine arrives.

Will macOS 11 Big Sur Recognize External Hard Drives That Were Formatted Using macOS 10.15.x Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.