Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple serious problems with the two laptops I use for my medical practice.

About 4 months ago I used Clean My Mac on the MacBook Pro. It was a disaster. It deleted multiple important data files. In addition about 2 months ago I realized that for some unknown reason (maybe I was hacked separately?) all the passwords in my password manager, LassPass, had changed without my permission. I could not get into any of my websites. I deleted LassPass and installed Dashlane. I slowly began to rebuild access to the websites. Last week I bought a new MacBook Air. It came with Big Sur. I read online that I needed to upgrade to Big Sur to transfer data from my Pro to my Air. I did so. I was instructed to backup my Pro before I erase the internal hard drive. However, my Pro no longer recognized my external hard drive and it would not mount. I tried to erase several other external hard drives to do the bask-up and they would either not mount or not be recognized. Now both my Pro and Air have data from each other. I don’t want that. I want a clean internal hard drive on my Pro and to keep my Air separate with it’s own data. I’ve been a loyal Apple customer since 1984. Each iteration and each OS upgrade seems to come with it’s own problem. However, this is the worst I ever experienced. I’m getting a new external hard drive today to copy the data on my Pro. Then I can erase it. I fear using Clean My Mac on my new Air. Can I just restore it what it came with from the factory? I’m a solo private practice physician and need to downgrade the OS on my Pro to Catalina because much of my essential third-party software will not work on Big Sur. Can some one please help me successfully navigate these steps?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 9:47 AM

Do you have a backup strategy in place, i.e. either Time Machine or an external clone of the laptops hard drive?

CleanMyMac is considered by most of the experienced contributors to these forums to be akin to malware. It should be removed according to the developer's instructions. To check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the CMM software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

To give us a sanitized look at your laptop's setup, both hardware and software wise, download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Ramimur

Do you have a backup strategy in place, i.e. either Time Machine or an external clone of the laptops hard drive?

CleanMyMac is considered by most of the experienced contributors to these forums to be akin to malware. It should be removed according to the developer's instructions. To check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the CMM software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

To give us a sanitized look at your laptop's setup, both hardware and software wise, download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Jun 5, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Ramimur

You need to hire an IT Consultant to get your practice securely and correctly set up. Why would you jeopardize your practice and patient data performing your own IT configuration and setup? It is obvious that you are not as familiar with IT as you believe you are; you are using CleanMyMac, and have not created a sufficient backup mechanism/policy.

Jun 5, 2021 11:08 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I do not think I am familiar IT. When I first started with Apple in 1984, I was working for a hospital. I only used my Mac for writing projects. I was a nervous beginner, but learned quickly that Mac was much more intuitive than PCs. As the years progressed, I remained a loyal Mac user. When the hospital was bought out, I began to use my Macs for my individual, private practice and had a regular back-up schedule, first with just an external hard drive & later added an online service. Eventually, I depended solely on the automatic online service, Backblaze. However, when I needed to recover my data, it was not a positive experience. This happened twice. During a search for a replacement, an self-proclaimed IT consultant recommended Clean My Mac. Thus the cascade of trouble began. I definitely would like to hire an IT consultant who knows what they are doing. How do you recommend I find one? I live in a small town on the coast south of San Francisco and Daly City. I look forward to your advise. Thank you.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Jun 6, 2021 12:07 PM in response to Old Toad

I don’t see Additional Text button on my report. I did seem it briefly yesterday, but didn’t know what to do with it then. Can’t remember what is was doing when I saw it. I sent a help request to EtreCheckPro. It did say “No Time Machine backup.” After multiple attempts on Friday to use my easy store external hard drive, I took a break. Yesterday after the report was delivered, I tried again. To my surprise, it appeared on my desktop. I backed up my hard drive successfully last night. The next problem is “Security updates.” I’m going to see if I can “Fix” these now.

Jun 6, 2021 12:41 PM in response to Ramimur

You really need to get a consultant. Why are you as a physician spending all this time on troubleshooting your practice computer? You need it professionally configured to protect your patients' data from loss or compromise. How many of your patients self diagnose and write their own prescriptions? When they need specialized assistance they consult with you. You need specialized assistance. It is clear you are not familiar with HIPAA, security, and other required computer systems used in a medical practice.

I am not saying this out of disrespect but only because I think you can best be served by hiring a professional.

Multiple serious problems with the two laptops I use for my medical practice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.