Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to share files between my two computers

I would like the two computers to mirror each other as much as possible as far as files go.

I recently bought a new MBP 16" and have a 2017 MBP 15", both running Ventura. I haven't migrated info to the MBP 16" yet, as I'm still cleaning out files on the 15". Also, I'm trying to figure out how to make this as painless as possible.

The 16" will be my home computer, the 15" my studio computer. I work with very large photoshop files that I discovered a few years ago do not play well when in the cloud. Maybe that has changed but it was a very slow process of accessing photoshop files while editing them. Hence, I moved my documents folder out of the cloud.

Suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 8:04 PM

I don't know what may have changed since you first used iCloud, but the idea is that seldom used documents remain stored in iCloud and "synced" with your active work products stored locally, as needed on each of your devices. If there's a better way of accomplishing what you need I don't know what it might be, which is the reason I waited a while for others to suggest some recommendations.

A reasonably fast Internet service is obviously required.

You can purchase absurd amounts of Cloud storage: iCloud+ plans and pricing - Apple Support

In the 70s we had mainframes to perform all our processing and storage needs. We used them remotely from terminals. We've come full circle.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 8:04 PM in response to Alana Kai

I don't know what may have changed since you first used iCloud, but the idea is that seldom used documents remain stored in iCloud and "synced" with your active work products stored locally, as needed on each of your devices. If there's a better way of accomplishing what you need I don't know what it might be, which is the reason I waited a while for others to suggest some recommendations.

A reasonably fast Internet service is obviously required.

You can purchase absurd amounts of Cloud storage: iCloud+ plans and pricing - Apple Support

In the 70s we had mainframes to perform all our processing and storage needs. We used them remotely from terminals. We've come full circle.

Dec 19, 2022 10:16 AM in response to John Galt

I am a neophyte when it comes to using iCloud. My experience a few years ago was a nightmare, in that when I upgraded Mac OS, my documents folder went to the cloud. Within the documents folder are 35+ GB of thousands of photoshop files, some very large. My work came to a grind as I tried to search for files, access them, and update them from my laptop while in they were in the cloud. Maybe I did something wrong. Maybe in the intervening couple of years, improvements have been made.

The upshot: I just want ready access to my large photoshop files from both computers. What is the best solution, all considered?

I want to share files between my two computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.