Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 inch

I have a cracked screen on my iMac 27inch. Is it worth replacing with the new 24inch iMac or repairing the screen(desktop still works fine) can no longer buy the 27inch. Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 10:43 AM

+1 a 2015 27" is too old and should be replaced. Apple considers it obsolete meaning it will not run current versions of Mac OS and parts are no longer available. To be honest a 24" will be much more powerful and faster than your current machine. Remember to backup the old machine using Time Machine and then when the new machine arrives, please follow the instructions in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. Buy your adapters from Amazon quickly so you have one available to use when the new machine arrives.

Finally please make sure your new 24" has at least the same amount of storage as the old machine, so if the old 27" has a 1TB drive, get a 24" with a 1TB drive!! Also, please buy a 24" with 16GB of RAM, the RAM is NOT upgradeable on 24" iMacs.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 10:43 AM in response to cherylnz

+1 a 2015 27" is too old and should be replaced. Apple considers it obsolete meaning it will not run current versions of Mac OS and parts are no longer available. To be honest a 24" will be much more powerful and faster than your current machine. Remember to backup the old machine using Time Machine and then when the new machine arrives, please follow the instructions in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. Buy your adapters from Amazon quickly so you have one available to use when the new machine arrives.

Finally please make sure your new 24" has at least the same amount of storage as the old machine, so if the old 27" has a 1TB drive, get a 24" with a 1TB drive!! Also, please buy a 24" with 16GB of RAM, the RAM is NOT upgradeable on 24" iMacs.

Dec 19, 2022 5:44 PM in response to cherylnz

From 2012 to present, iMac have a one-piece display assembly. Even if only the glass cover cracks but the rest of the display works, you have to replace the entire assembly.

I checked a site I've used that sells user/pulled parts and their prices always seem represetnative in the US. Their cost for a used assembly for your model is US$340-400 based on condition, and that is just the part. It is not considered a user-serviceable part, so add in one to two hours of labor at an estimated US$75/hour, plus the cost of the reseal kit. That could reach well over US$500.

The most cost-effective option is to live with the crack.

Next most cost-effective is to get an external monitor and use that.

Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

iMac 27 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.