Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't charge Apple Watch 6 - is there any personal data on it after unpairing it?

My Apple Watch 6 stopped charging. I brought it in for repair assuming it just needed a new battery. It had to be sent offsite, so the employee had me unpair the watch from my phone (not sure how it unpaired with no power, but it did). After it was received at the service center I was told that the repair would be $299 (the problem was the charging coil, or whatever the charging element on the back of the watch is called). I declined the repair so it was sent back to the store and I picked it up. I'd like to try to sell it to someone can use it for parts or repair it themself, but I don't want to risk having the buyer able to access my personal information or other data. Would unpairing it have erased everything (even though it had no power) to a point where it cannot be recovered, or am I at risk of someone being able to recover the data, in which case I won't bother trying to sell it? Thanks!

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 11:48 AM

If you successfully unpaired it it should have removed the activation lock and all your data.

Even of it was not successfully unpaired nobody can get to your data without the passcode but they will not be able to pair it either.

Does this look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXBcNcbTcqg&list=RDCMUCYFQ33UIPERYx8-ZHucZbDA&start_radio=1&rv=UXBcNcbTcqg&t=25

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 11:48 AM in response to bossfan

If you successfully unpaired it it should have removed the activation lock and all your data.

Even of it was not successfully unpaired nobody can get to your data without the passcode but they will not be able to pair it either.

Does this look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXBcNcbTcqg&list=RDCMUCYFQ33UIPERYx8-ZHucZbDA&start_radio=1&rv=UXBcNcbTcqg&t=25

Dec 19, 2022 11:58 AM in response to LD150

The iPhone process was how we did it at the Apple Store - in fact, I had to change my password to do it since I had forgotten my current password at the time. But, I wasn't too focused on the process since I assumed I'd get a new battery and the re-pair the phone. I just wonder how it was successfully unpaired and info deleted since there was little to no power in the watch. In any event, it did unpair and it doesn't appear on iCloud or Find My.

Thanks for your help!

Can't charge Apple Watch 6 - is there any personal data on it after unpairing it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.