Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset on mid-2007 iMac

Hi. Followed directions. When I bought the computer, it was probably running on Leopard, but don't remember for sure. I had upgraded it up to El Capitan 10.11.6, which was the last upgrade the computer would swallow. It won't accept the factory reset and is only allowing a reset to El Capitan. From my research, it appears it's not available anymore except if the computer has 6 gigs of RAM. I have 4 SDram. Not looking good.

And no, I don't have the OS disk that probably came with the computer. The Mac still works after 15 years, so I hate to drop it off at the Apple Store for recycling, and there is a local store that takes used computers, but....is it time to give up? Just askin'.

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 9:15 AM

You are going to need to buy a copy of Snow Leopard retail. The disc looks like

and does not say drop-in, OEM, or update. Places like eBay from a reputable seller may have it. Sometimes Amazon has it.

Once you get the disc, use the Option key to boot the disc, and run Disk Utility to format the drive using Show all devices under the View menu.

At that point the disc can be sold with the computer, and will offer a means of restore that any user can use with the computer.

Unfortunately the computer is too old to use internet restore, or recovery mode. If Disk Utility can't format the drive, it may need replacement by an authorized service center.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 9:15 AM in response to snacker24

You are going to need to buy a copy of Snow Leopard retail. The disc looks like

and does not say drop-in, OEM, or update. Places like eBay from a reputable seller may have it. Sometimes Amazon has it.

Once you get the disc, use the Option key to boot the disc, and run Disk Utility to format the drive using Show all devices under the View menu.

At that point the disc can be sold with the computer, and will offer a means of restore that any user can use with the computer.

Unfortunately the computer is too old to use internet restore, or recovery mode. If Disk Utility can't format the drive, it may need replacement by an authorized service center.

Dec 19, 2022 10:21 AM in response to a brody

Tnx, a brody. Didn't think to look around for a disk. Think you could help with my Apple IIe? ;-) [Haven't figured out the emojis here yet; the keyboard shortcut isn't doing it]

The Apple IIe was the first for our kids, then went to PC's. IIRC, they blew up about every three years and it was when the newest upgrade was 5.0 a few decades ago, my continual griping about the bugginess (acting suspiciously like beta) bugged my husband enough to stroll up behind me and say, "We're going to the Apple Store." Never looked back. So, it's mostly a sentimental gesture to keep this old, trusty, working, backup computer alive, hoping someone can use it. Sort of like a '65 Mustang, which just gave away my age. Needs to go as it's starting to look like Mission Control heading for Mission Impossible here, and it's recently fulfilled the last mission I had for it, and did so brilliantly, if slowly...which is my speed.

Anyway, thank you! I truly appreciate your time and help.

Dec 20, 2022 1:22 PM in response to snacker24

Hey, a brody.....Just kidding about helping with the Apple IIe. That's long gone. You had a II+? Way ahead of me. >;-) My kids got a handle on Basic, but I never did. Been stumbling and bumbling my way through computers for a long time...kids pick it up so much faster, and I'm getting slower. heh. Just too much fun to give it up, though. Take care, and tnx again!

Factory reset on mid-2007 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.