Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie edited recording is cut off when copied

I'm not great at using iMovie but good enough to edit some recordings. However, recently I've edited a recording that appears complete in IMovie, but when I save it to a flash drive, the end is cut off. I've worked on this for 3 days. Re-editing. Is it possible that I'm inadvertently marking the recording so that it ends at that point? Thanks

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 6:23 AM

Rich839, thank you for your assistance. When I tried to open iMovie to change the preferences, iMovie still opened with the old library.

Yesterday I contacted Apple Support. The advisor was surprised at the problem too. We walked through what I had been doing. He suggested: I move the iMovie default folder to the finder under favorites; that I not use the flash drive to upload the recordings (drive is slow); we looked at the flash drives I use and reformatted them to X-FAT and put the files back on them; I played the recording from the folder in the favorites and it worked. I uploaded the file to Youtube from that folder in favorites and it worked fine. It appears that several errors on my part created the issue. I wanted to share this information with you as you have been so responsive. Thanks Vezzie

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 6:23 AM in response to Rich839

Rich839, thank you for your assistance. When I tried to open iMovie to change the preferences, iMovie still opened with the old library.

Yesterday I contacted Apple Support. The advisor was surprised at the problem too. We walked through what I had been doing. He suggested: I move the iMovie default folder to the finder under favorites; that I not use the flash drive to upload the recordings (drive is slow); we looked at the flash drives I use and reformatted them to X-FAT and put the files back on them; I played the recording from the folder in the favorites and it worked. I uploaded the file to Youtube from that folder in favorites and it worked fine. It appears that several errors on my part created the issue. I wanted to share this information with you as you have been so responsive. Thanks Vezzie

Dec 19, 2022 11:15 AM in response to Vezzie

Since the project plays fully in the iMovie timeline, then it should play fully in the exported product.

I don't know what could be causing the clip to be cut off before the ending. However, sometimes export issues can be caused by an iMovie preference going awry. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures the problem. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, you can try putting the clip into a newly created project and try exporting from there.

-- Rich

iMovie edited recording is cut off when copied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.