Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical line on screen of M1 pro

A thin vertical line has appeared running down the screen of my 16inch M1 Pro (about a pixel thick). It flickers and changes colour as images move over it. It just appeared when i was sitting working and it hasn't been bumped or knocked at all. I thought i was most likely a software issue, but when i go to screen grab it, it doesn't show up in the screen grab image - making me think it's the physical screen.

I googled the issue and people were saying to reset the VRAM or SMC but it doesn't seem like that applies to the Macbook pros with Apple Silicon. I've tried all the normal trouble shooting stuff. Any advice would help. Cheers.

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 3:32 PM

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 3:32 PM in response to jonoithappenedagain

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Dec 19, 2022 5:14 PM in response to jonoithappenedagain

Vertical artifacts are almost always problems in the display module itself.

Not appearing in a screenshot confirms that.

--------

Don't believe random, posts on the Internet by 'just some guy' -- it will make you crazy. LOTS of people have no idea what they are talking about, and are very quick to tell you about it.

Posts here are read by many. When someone says stuff that is wrong, others will (within a day or two) call them out.

Vertical line on screen of M1 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.