Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal lines on screen, 2022 M1 Max Macbook Pro

I just got my M1 Max Macbook Pro 14" about two months ago and last week it started developing horizontal lines starting from the left side of the screen that gradually fade away as you get closer to the right side of the screen. I've never dropped my macbook and it's not warm at all, so I really don't know what the issue is. Sometimes if I shut it off and come back hours later, the lines will go away but slowly develop again over time. Where should I start with this?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 1:38 PM

Get expert service and support at the Genius Bar.

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 12, 2022 1:31 PM in response to Bigott212

Bigott212 wrote:

I just got my M1 Max Macbook Pro 14" about two months ago and last week it started developing horizontal lines starting from the left side of the screen that gradually fade away as you get closer to the right side of the screen. I've never dropped my macbook and it's not warm at all, so I really don't know what the issue is. Sometimes if I shut it off and come back hours later, the lines will go away but slowly develop again over time. Where should I start with this?
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a9188d56-7d27-4359-8b9e-ed0f647348d3
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/19538b06-76ce-49c9-bd17-6951915bfdeb
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f93421c7-55c4-40f6-bb19-76769562f1e7

I am sorry but I see no horizonal lines on the left side of the screen(?)

Screen shots come directly from the GPU—and bypass the display.

Do you see them in the screen shots you provided(?) Maybe a less vibrant/crazy Desktop background would make them show up more clearly here on line...?

...therefore if you see anomalies on the Display it is typical a display issue.

run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

you can Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Jun 12, 2022 2:56 PM in response to Bigott212

Bigott212 wrote:
M1 Max Macbook Pro 14" about two months ago

Screenshots also don't show the bezels of the screen or my desk in the background, these were obviously taken with a phone.

The lines are very small and I tried a few different backgrounds and it's easiest to see on this one. Before you ask, no it's not just the background, it appears on every application on every color other than complete black or white. Here I marked the start of each line in blue to help you see as they are very small.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/78c7697a-0ef9-4cf1-b3f3-6e89a11c3b9e

ha ha right, thanks—This is a much better example...

Besides doing a safeboot to clear caches and testing SafeBoot to sort anomalies

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

or

reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS—to sort issue

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve—

I would not hesitate brand new Machine —call  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

let them test the machine with their  backbench diagnostic — AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) is certainly more comprehensive than the user diagnostic..

Jun 12, 2022 2:40 PM in response to leroydouglas

Screenshots also don't show the bezels of the screen or my desk in the background, these were obviously taken with a phone.

The lines are very small and I tried a few different backgrounds and it's easiest to see on this one. Before you ask, no it's not just the background, it appears on every application on every color other than complete black or white. Here I marked the start of each line in blue to help you see as they are very small.

Horizontal lines on screen, 2022 M1 Max Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.