Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot export project file from Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1 (either nothing happens or I get a zero bytes file)

Hi there,

I would be super grateful for some assistance with the following issue.

I own a MacBook Air 2013 running on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and cannot export my files from Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1.

Whenever I try to export the file via the share "export file" or "master file" options, either nothing happens or I get a zero bytes file.

I did some research online and tried everything I could find:

1) Checked the storage space (no problem there - even tried to do it via a compatibly formatted external hard drive with 3TB of free space, still no dice...)

2) Deleted the render files

3) Created a new library

I don't know what else to do, every time I try to resolve the issue I get to the same conclusion: either nothing happens or I get a zero bytes file.

I would be very grateful for any help that this community could provide.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Matt

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 1:31 AM

Try deleting preferences.

You have quite an old version. I don't recall when the current easy method of deleting the preferences was introduced: hold down command and option keys, while starting FCP and clicking on the "Delete Preferences" button. If it works, you will see an "Untitled" library; open the one you were using and see if things work now.

Any particular reason to stay at 10.2.1? Even on your old OS, El Capitan, you could at least update FCP to 10.3.4.

In order for us to know more about other possible issues affecting FCP, Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 1:31 AM in response to mbh87

Try deleting preferences.

You have quite an old version. I don't recall when the current easy method of deleting the preferences was introduced: hold down command and option keys, while starting FCP and clicking on the "Delete Preferences" button. If it works, you will see an "Untitled" library; open the one you were using and see if things work now.

Any particular reason to stay at 10.2.1? Even on your old OS, El Capitan, you could at least update FCP to 10.3.4.

In order for us to know more about other possible issues affecting FCP, Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Dec 20, 2022 2:41 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

Embarrassingly, I didn't know that it was because I wasn't checking the background tasks (they don't pop up on this version of Final Cut Pro).

My old laptop took a very long time to export/share the file. Combined with the background task progress checker not showing up automatically whenever one starts an action such as sharing or rendering, this is why I was experiencing these problems.

All works perfectly now.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks for heads up re 10.3.4 update. I'll download it!

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Matt

Cannot export project file from Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1 (either nothing happens or I get a zero bytes file)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.