Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Diagnostics not working

Since upgrading to macOS Ventura (my iMac is currently running 13.1 but the issue was there already on 13.0.1) I'm unable to use Apple Diagnostics (Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support).

When I follow the usual procedure (see link in previous paragraph), the spinning globe appears with a message that my system is downloading Internet Recovery, which is already a sign something is not going the way it should. My Internet connection is solid and very fast (around 450 Mbps), but waiting for half an hour does not give any result. The spinning globe continues to spin and nothing else happens.

I have already filed a bug report ("feedback") with Apple, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue and has possibly found a solution or a workaround.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 5:52 AM

Me again. Apple Diagnostics still runs on my Intel Mac running Ventura. It does show an Internet Recovery screen after choosing a network. But it switches to a screen asking if I want to run Apple Diagnostics. Takes some time. Not more than a minute or so.

11 replies

Dec 20, 2022 5:12 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

Deep Sky Diver wrote:

Since upgrading to macOS Ventura (my iMac is currently running 13.1 but the issue was there already on 13.0.1) I'm unable to use Apple Diagnostics (Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support).

When I follow the usual procedure (see link in previous paragraph), the spinning globe appears with a message that my system is downloading Internet Recovery, which is already a sign something is not going the way it should. My Internet connection is solid and very fast (around 450 Mbps), but waiting for half an hour does not give any result. The spinning globe continues to spin and nothing else happens.

I have already filed a bug report ("feedback") with Apple, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue and has possibly found a solution or a workaround.

So what is your issue beyond the Diagnostic...? You do not say.

I will say it is not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic.

If you have a hardware issue take it in—

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Dec 20, 2022 6:25 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

Deep Sky Diver wrote:

Thanks, again. :-)
That narrows it down to my Intel iMac and mine only. I get the Internet Recovery Spinning Globe, after choosing my network, but no matter how long I wait (half an hour the last time), nothing happens after that. I may give it a try choosing my iPhone's hotspot connection.

It is hard to believe a "Hotspot" Network will allow for a Recovery/Diagnostic connection...

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Diagnose problems with your Mac - Apple Support

Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 20, 2022 5:24 AM in response to leroydouglas

Well, to know what exactly is the issue, if any, with the hardware, I first need to be able to run Apple Diagnostics. It ran perfectly well on Big Sur and Monterey. Now, it simply doesn't even load anymore and instead my iMac is trying to download Internet Recovery when I use the startup key combination to download and run Apple Diagnostics. That by itself is already an issue.

Dec 20, 2022 5:33 AM in response to Deep Sky Diver

Deep Sky Diver wrote:

Well, to know what exactly is the issue, if any, with the hardware, I first need to be able to run Apple Diagnostics. It ran perfectly well on Big Sur and Monterey. Now, it simply doesn't even load anymore and instead my iMac is trying to download Internet Recovery when I use the startup key combination to download and run Apple Diagnostics. That by itself is already an issue.

?

Understood.

Let me rephrase the question to you...

What makes you think you have a hardware issue?

Dec 20, 2022 5:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

It is not a matter of having a hardware issue I want to diagnose using Apple Diagnostics. It is a matter of me asking why Apple Diagnostics does not load anymore since I upgraded Ventura. Either there is something wrong with the upgrade, or there is something wrong with my hardware, or Apple does no longer allow its users to run Apple Diagnostics. I would like to know the answer to that question: Why does Apple Diagnostics no longer work? It is supposed to, unless Apple quietly removed access to it or the Ventura upgrade crippled it.

Apple Diagnostics not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.