Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Greyed Out - Cannot turn on iCloud Drive - 20/12/2022

Hi everyone,

I use Obsidian Markdown editor and have the 'vaults' within iCloud so I can access them anywhere on all devices.

But, the iCloud is not working as it should.

I've:

• updated to latest software.
  • signed in and out of Apple ID
  • signed out and in to University WiFi
  • ensured VPN is deactivated
  • ensured anti Virus is not causing issue

Despite this, iCloud remains greyed out:

How do I resolve this issue so I may switch iCloud Drive "ON".

Many thanks,

passoutpeach

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 7:08 AM

You may not be able to turn on iCloud Drive, if there is not much free storage left on your Mac or in iCloud. How much unused storage is on your Mac? Is there enough free storage on your Mac, so the 3.5GB from iCloud could be synced to your Mac?

There is not much storage left on iCloud either.

3 replies

Dec 21, 2022 3:42 AM in response to léonie

Hello Leonie,

Thank you for your feedback! :)

Firstly, I have freed up iCloud storage by selecting "Manage" and now have 4.3GB of free space in iCloud.

I have 103GB of storage left of 494GB on the Mac - mainly "Documents". So I'll attempt to sync the 0.7GB of iCloud files to the Mac although I'm not entirely sure how to do this without being able to access the iCloud Drive?

I'll transfer the iCloud files via Dropbox/WeTransfer and save them in Documents. It seems as if everyone in my place of work is experiencing iCloud issues and plenty online posts surrounding the Drive being Greyed Out specifically.

I hope that you have a festive break!

Many thanks,

Passoutpeach

Dec 22, 2022 3:16 AM in response to passoutpeach

Update:

Yesterday I spoke with an Apple Support Rep on the phone. Whilst on hold the problem resolved, possibly itself. Although, whilst on hold with Apple Support I disconnected once more from the University WiFi and switched to my iPhone Hotspot and back again.

When my call connected to the Rep I explained that the iCloud Drive On/Off button was no longer greyed out. The Rep was able to tell me that there was something 'regarding iCloud Drive' that had just been resolved "in the last five minutes" which would match up with it fixing my end whilst on hold (you still with me :p).

Hoooooweveeeeer, this morning the problem is back....

Hope the rest of Apple Users are having a grand old time! Merry Crimbo

iCloud Drive Greyed Out - Cannot turn on iCloud Drive - 20/12/2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.