Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have a Fusion or SSD hard drive?

I have an early 2019 iMac and would like to know the type of hard drive I have. The system report (attached below) only shows one hard drive -- a 1 Tb SSD. The seller who sold it to me says this is how Fusion drives are reported and that I have a 1 Tb Fusion drive with 32 Gb of SSD (which is why the name of the drive is SM0032L).

Online, the examples of a Fusion hard drive I find have system info showing two hard drives -- the first being the 32Mb SSD and the second being the 1Tb HDD with SATA appearing.

Can anyone help me with this? Is it possible to have a SSD SM0032L with 1 Tb? If I do have a Fusion drive, why can't I see the HDD part (either in System Info or in the Disk Utility program)

Thanks in advance!

Tom

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 6:12 PM

Thank you everyone! It turns out that I do have a Fusion drive. Since the two drives are "fused" and working as one, only one drive shows up in the

 > System Settings > About>System Report/Storage

information file and in the "Disk Utility" program. But if you run

diskutil list

in Terminal, you get the following info, which shows that I have a Fusion drive, as the Fusion drive is the synthesized drive consisting of the Physical drives disk0s2 (the 1GB HDD) and disc1s2 (the 28GB SSD).

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         1000.0 GB  disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *28.0 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         27.7 GB    disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1.0 TB     disk2
                                 Physical Stores disk0s2, disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume Untitled00 - Data       822.1 GB   disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 1.7 GB     disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                1.1 GB     disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume Julie's iMac            8.8 GB     disk2s4
   5:              APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 8.8 GB     disk2s4s1
   6:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk2s6

For those still reading, I don't understand why Apple, in the Ventura system, has changed the reporting of the hard drive on the

 > System Settings > General/Storage Setting

page, so that it doesn't explicitly report whether you have a Fusion drive or SSD or HDD drive (as it did in Monterey and earlier). I guess it's because all new Macs in 2022 only have SSDs, but this seems wrong not to tell a user of older Macs, the details of their equipment.

Again, thank you everyone for your help!! And I want to note the post at

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/450851/how-can-i-confirm-my-fusion-drive-is-working

on a similar topic that provided useful information.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 6:12 PM in response to pmondrian2022

Thank you everyone! It turns out that I do have a Fusion drive. Since the two drives are "fused" and working as one, only one drive shows up in the

 > System Settings > About>System Report/Storage

information file and in the "Disk Utility" program. But if you run

diskutil list

in Terminal, you get the following info, which shows that I have a Fusion drive, as the Fusion drive is the synthesized drive consisting of the Physical drives disk0s2 (the 1GB HDD) and disc1s2 (the 28GB SSD).

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         1000.0 GB  disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *28.0 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         27.7 GB    disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1.0 TB     disk2
                                 Physical Stores disk0s2, disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume Untitled00 - Data       822.1 GB   disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 1.7 GB     disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                1.1 GB     disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume Julie's iMac            8.8 GB     disk2s4
   5:              APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 8.8 GB     disk2s4s1
   6:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk2s6

For those still reading, I don't understand why Apple, in the Ventura system, has changed the reporting of the hard drive on the

 > System Settings > General/Storage Setting

page, so that it doesn't explicitly report whether you have a Fusion drive or SSD or HDD drive (as it did in Monterey and earlier). I guess it's because all new Macs in 2022 only have SSDs, but this seems wrong not to tell a user of older Macs, the details of their equipment.

Again, thank you everyone for your help!! And I want to note the post at

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/450851/how-can-i-confirm-my-fusion-drive-is-working

on a similar topic that provided useful information.

Dec 20, 2022 10:21 AM in response to pmondrian2022

I think it is just Fusion or regular HD however if you provide and EtreCheck report of the system we can tell you for sure what is installed.

The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Dec 20, 2022 10:39 AM in response to pmondrian2022

The SSD component of late model Fusion drives are tiny—24 to 28GB. At 1TB, yours is a factory SSD, top of the line. Congrats!

"About this Mac..." > Storage tab will also show the drive type. My 2017 iMac 5K has the factory 1TB SSD and "About..." shows this:

Were it a Fusion system, it would say "Fusion" instead of "Flash Storage."

What you have is far faster than a Fusion. Best Fusion drives will do Writes at close to 1000MB/sec and Reads up to 2000Mb/sec.

My factory SSD does Writes at 2200+MB/sec and Reads at 2850MB/sec. Way better than Fusion.

An Etrecheck report at this point will show if your drive is performing at expected speeds.

Do I have a Fusion or SSD hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.