Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine no longer backing up

I have upgraded my MacBook Pro with Intel silicon (2016 15") through the last two iOS versions and lost time machine backups. I did see an added hard disk volume that I recall was possibly the culprit. On Monterey now, latest this PC can use.

My job requires consistent backups, but I cannot do it. I want a new laptop, but need to get this one backed up.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ed

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 8:31 AM

Now that you have another backup destination that appears to be working, you can manipulate the old backup.

Generally, you validate the drive using the simple steps described in this third-party article:

https://osxdaily.com/2017/02/01/verify-time-machine-backups-mac/

because you have another backup, if it fails, or if you are just finding it tiresome, you can ERASE the drive snd begin a new backup set.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 8:31 AM in response to MacVaugh

Now that you have another backup destination that appears to be working, you can manipulate the old backup.

Generally, you validate the drive using the simple steps described in this third-party article:

https://osxdaily.com/2017/02/01/verify-time-machine-backups-mac/

because you have another backup, if it fails, or if you are just finding it tiresome, you can ERASE the drive snd begin a new backup set.

Dec 21, 2022 6:40 AM in response to MacVaugh

Time machine does its work in the background, at low priority. do not pay extra for a drive like an SSD drive that is FAST. Time machine does not benefit from a drive that is fast.

The simplest place to add a drive is directly connected to your Mac, such as by USB. You can connect and disconnect as you wish. when present, your backups will go through. when not present, a list of files will be created for later backup.

You CAN connect another backup drive to any other Mac on your network, such as a desktop Mac on your network. Both computers must be running Sierra 10.12 or later. The concept is called a shared backup destination. You enable File Sharing, share a folder on that drive, and then control-click that folder and use (advanced Options).

Back up to a shared folder with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 24, 2022 10:29 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you!

We are making progress. My MacBook Pro is now backing up to the Airport Time Capsule and the T7 plugged into the MacBook itself.

Now I wish to share the T7 with the iMacSo I can back up both computers to two places.

I believe I have followed your linked instructions to share the T7 drive with both the MacBook and the iMac:

However, I get these messages on my wife's iMac:

I click on that "Set Up Disk" button, and get this:

Any thoughts on this development?

Thanks!

Ed MacVaugh

Dec 20, 2022 5:50 PM in response to MacVaugh

If your old backup drive is messed up for any reason, you can always ADD another backup disk and tell Time machine to use that as well.

Time machine will begin a new stand-alone backup on the new drive, and if it were working properly, would alternate backups -- every-other backup goes to every-other drive. Either drive can be removed or re-added at any time.

Once you have a few backups on the new drive, you are no longer "working without a net" and can explore why the old one stopped, or if you wish, you can re-initialize it, or retire it.

Dec 20, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

You response is reassuring! My backup was to my wife's Time Capsule as shown in the image. Her iMac backs up to there, has been upgraded several iOS versions and ultimately the hardware was upgraded last year when the M1 chip came out. Hers has continued to work over all these upgrades, and we bought the last time machine available when they were discontinued by Apple when the first one's drive failed. I need to be able to take my laptop with me once a week or so, so I need the backup to be physically tied to the network, her iMac or her existing Time Capsule, since I understand it can't be tied to a connected and disconnected laptop.

Where do I add the new drive? To the network, to the existing Time Capsule, or just plugged into her iMac? I am thinking an SSD, like a Samsung T7 Shield.

Dec 24, 2022 11:18 AM in response to MacVaugh

The key is to "connect as different user"

in Finder, navigate to "Network".

open the computer-name of the shared computer.

If the shared drive is connected, disconnect and connect again with a Username (valid on the SERVER computer) that has read/write access to the shared drive, such as a specified Sharing user on that computer or the Admin user of that computer.

Time machine no longer backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.