Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make my microSD card writeable so I can reformat it? I was previously using it for time machine backups.

Disk Utility keeps telling me the partition has an issue and the disk is not writeable.

Also, windows says it is read only and I cannot format it on Windows 7 either. I tried Diskpart on windows and it just gave me errors. It seems I need to low level format it somehow to fix the partition table or find a way to force that operation.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 2:28 AM

Two things jump to me.

1 - Some MicroSD drives have a Slider Lock ' Unlock on the side of the MicroSD card.

If in the Locked Position - neither Windows for macOS can do anything except read from the card.

2 - MicroSD Cards are useful but Not for " I was previously using it for time machine backups."

Regardless of how big of a Drive Capacity it may have, MicroSD cards are prone to failure and are very unreliable for TM Backup drive

It is suggested to get a reliable External Drive with at least 2 1/2 Greater Drive Capacity than the Internal Drive of the computer and use that drive for TM Backups

Refer to link below

Time Machine Backup 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 2:28 AM in response to steve5n

Two things jump to me.

1 - Some MicroSD drives have a Slider Lock ' Unlock on the side of the MicroSD card.

If in the Locked Position - neither Windows for macOS can do anything except read from the card.

2 - MicroSD Cards are useful but Not for " I was previously using it for time machine backups."

Regardless of how big of a Drive Capacity it may have, MicroSD cards are prone to failure and are very unreliable for TM Backup drive

It is suggested to get a reliable External Drive with at least 2 1/2 Greater Drive Capacity than the Internal Drive of the computer and use that drive for TM Backups

Refer to link below

Time Machine Backup 

How do I make my microSD card writeable so I can reformat it? I was previously using it for time machine backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.