Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Formatting SD cards on a Mac mini

I am curious if SD cards come formatted, or is there a method for formatting them on my Mac mini?

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 10:22 AM

Hey, you put me on the right track to further investigate. The external drive has a two option input , one is the lightning connection and the other an USB. The lightning connection is faulty but the USB connection offers the connection to be witnessed within the “ drive utility “. Thanks for help steering me into this trouble shooting path.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 10:22 AM in response to Justmet

Hey, you put me on the right track to further investigate. The external drive has a two option input , one is the lightning connection and the other an USB. The lightning connection is faulty but the USB connection offers the connection to be witnessed within the “ drive utility “. Thanks for help steering me into this trouble shooting path.

Aug 30, 2023 2:42 AM in response to Justmet

If you're going to use memory cards in a digital camera, it's best to format them in the camera. If you must format them in a computer, the SD Association recommends that you use their special formatting tool.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

"It is strongly recommended to use the SD Memory Card Formatter to format SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards rather than using formatting tools provided with individual operating systems. In general, formatting tools provided with operating systems can format various storage media including SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards, but it may not be optimized for SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards and it may result in lower performance."

I believe that FAT32 is the standard filesystem for SDHC cards, and exFAT is the standard filesystem for SDXC ones. If you format a card using HFS+ (Mac), APFS (Mac), or NTFS (Windows), most devices like cameras, digital picture frames, TVs, MP3 players, etc., are not going to be very happy.

Formatting SD cards on a Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.