Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Hub roaming

I have a setup with multiple Apple TVs and HomePod minis (7 Apple TVs and 8 HomePod minis).

One of these devices becomes the connected HomeKit hub randomly, the rest are in standby and the problem is that some of the HomeKit devices are using Bluetooth LTE and for some Apple TVs are too far away. So each time the device (be it an Apple TV or HomePod mini) that is the connected HomeKit hub is too far away those HomeKit devices do not work anymore.

While I can disconnect the Apple TV from their menu to stop them to become connected there is no way I can do this for the HomePod minis.

I need to inhibit the HomePod minis to become connected HomeKit hubs in order to get a stable HomeKit system.

Any ideas?

Apple TV 4K, 15

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 6:59 AM

There isn't currently a way to control which device takes on the home hub role, or disable the ability of devices to perform that function. I would have assumed that communications between devices in the home relied on at least one device being in Bluetooth or Wi-Fi range, with the home hub coordinating things and passing messages to and from the cloud. That said other people have reported, for example, that their gear works best when a certain device is in control. Use Feedback - HomePod - Apple to share your thoughts with Apple. Have you upgraded to 16.2 yet? Perhaps things will improve with the new support for the Matter protocol.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 6:59 AM in response to radudanpetric

There isn't currently a way to control which device takes on the home hub role, or disable the ability of devices to perform that function. I would have assumed that communications between devices in the home relied on at least one device being in Bluetooth or Wi-Fi range, with the home hub coordinating things and passing messages to and from the cloud. That said other people have reported, for example, that their gear works best when a certain device is in control. Use Feedback - HomePod - Apple to share your thoughts with Apple. Have you upgraded to 16.2 yet? Perhaps things will improve with the new support for the Matter protocol.

tt2

Dec 21, 2022 7:19 AM in response to turingtest2

No it is not improving with 16.2. Actually lately it is even worst. I have inhibited all the Apple TVs except one to become HomeKit hubs and disconnected the HomePod minis and even so the only Apple TV that is connected as HomeKit Hub is entering standby mode randomly and I have to manually reconnect it as HomeKit hub.

I have more than 200 HomeKit accessories and playing with the system for six years now (Philips Hue lights, Eve smart plugs and sensors, Gardena Irigation faucets and sensors, Aquara sensors, ...) and using Apple HomeKit is really a frustrating experience. Not remotely reliable. You have to fiddle with the HomeKit hub at random times and even hard reset the Apple TV. HomePod minis just made the HomeKit setup a nightmare. I have found a workaround by not entering the iCloud credentials into the HomePod minis and thus stopping them interfere with the HomeKit setup but you limit the HomePod functionality.

I wish Apple took seriously the HomeKit development. At this stage is just a gimmick for enthusiasts like me that has potential but in real life is a pain in the ***.

HomeKit Hub roaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.