Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How can I turn off the deep fusion on 14 Pro Max?

I do a lot of close up photography of jewelry items. Every photo is dark and has be adjusted. I have to shoot all Live Photos and then choose another key photo. Help?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 2:01 PM

Hey there cynthiapple,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

For some helpful information and tips that can assist with taking photos and videos on your iPhone, check out this link here: Take great photos and videos - Apple Support

It may also be helpful to try adjusting your iPhone camera's exposure as well, which can help determine how light or dark a photo will appear when captured by your camera. For steps on how to adjust the exposure on your iPhone, take a look at this next resource: Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

Adjust the camera’s focus and exposure
Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces. If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Open Camera.
2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
4. Next to the focus area, drag the Adjust Exposure button up or down to adjust the exposure.
To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.

On iPhone 11 and later, you can precisely set and lock the exposure for upcoming shots. Tap the Camera Controls button, tap the Exposure button, then move the slider to adjust the exposure. The exposure locks until the next time you
open Camera. To save the exposure control so it’s not reset when you open Camera, go to Settings  > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Exposure Adjustment.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 2:01 PM in response to cynthiapple

Hey there cynthiapple,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

For some helpful information and tips that can assist with taking photos and videos on your iPhone, check out this link here: Take great photos and videos - Apple Support

It may also be helpful to try adjusting your iPhone camera's exposure as well, which can help determine how light or dark a photo will appear when captured by your camera. For steps on how to adjust the exposure on your iPhone, take a look at this next resource: Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

Adjust the camera’s focus and exposure
Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces. If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Open Camera.
2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
4. Next to the focus area, drag the Adjust Exposure button up or down to adjust the exposure.
To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.

On iPhone 11 and later, you can precisely set and lock the exposure for upcoming shots. Tap the Camera Controls button, tap the Exposure button, then move the slider to adjust the exposure. The exposure locks until the next time you
open Camera. To save the exposure control so it’s not reset when you open Camera, go to Settings  > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Exposure Adjustment.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Have a great day!

Mar 11, 2023 2:42 PM in response to Stoneblossoms

I’m also very disappointed with this feature! I do take so many portraits photos and I used to have Iphone 12 promax before my Iphone 14promax, and i hate to admit that my old iphone used to take so much better photos! What is this automatic filter on all the photos!!!!!???? I think they call it deep fusion which you are not able to disable it AT ALL!!!! I hope Apple fix this issue as soon as possible. If this won’t get fixed I will definitely going to replace my Iphone 14 with another phone!

Apr 20, 2023 1:33 PM in response to Prategh

We purchased 2 of these phones because they were recommended for the quality of the pics. We had never used iphones in the past so we thought we would get great photos. They are the WORST images of most phones we have had in past. We have tried everything to correct what deep fusion is doing and nothing works well. Unfortunately we will have to go back to Samsung if they don't have a fix for the Iphone.

How can I turn off the deep fusion on 14 Pro Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.