Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE shuts down in cold weather?

I bought a new iPhone SE about a month ago. Nice phone. Like it a lot. Works fine. However . . . I went outside yesterday afternoon. Phone was fully charged. Walked over to a local coffee shop, sat down, took out the phone, and it wouldn’t respond. Nothing. Dead. Fortunately, I’m close to an Apple Store. So, I walked over, checked in, and was seen by a rep at the fix-it counter. He plugged the phone in. Unplugged it, then pressed the buttons in sequence and the phone booted. I entered my code and all was good. I asked him what was going on and he said that the phone will sometimes “shut down” when going from a warm to a very cold environment to save “battery life.” This makes no sense to me but what do I know. Anyone ever heard of this or seen this behavior.

By the way, the key combination is Volume-up, then Volume-down, then Power button (hold for 20 seconds). You do that in sequence.

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 4:44 PM

There are operating temperatures to consider. Perhaps you were at or near the acceptable low:

"[…]Use iOS and iPadOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause your device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Store your device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave your device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.[…]

Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause your device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring your device back to higher ambient temperatures.

Your iOS or iPadOS device might not charge or could stop charging if it gets too cold.[…]"

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 4:44 PM in response to ArbeeNYC

There are operating temperatures to consider. Perhaps you were at or near the acceptable low:

"[…]Use iOS and iPadOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause your device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Store your device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave your device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.[…]

Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause your device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring your device back to higher ambient temperatures.

Your iOS or iPadOS device might not charge or could stop charging if it gets too cold.[…]"

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

Dec 21, 2022 5:11 PM in response to ArbeeNYC

If your iPhone was mostly kept inside your winter clothing, there shouldn’t be a substantial temperature difference.

Per the tech specs:

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)

In this case, seems more like the device locked up. That lock-up should not be common.

If you do use an iPhone outside the specified range, there can be problems. Heat can permanently damage the battery. Cold reduces battery capacity. And excessive condensation going from cold to hot and very humid can potentially cause problems.

Dec 22, 2022 8:07 AM in response to MrHoffman

So, it was cold outside, but not *that* cold--maybe around 35F and the phone was in the pocket of a down jacket. It's not like I took it out of the freezer. For what it's worth, I had it outside yesterday and the temperature was about the same and there was no discernible problem. So, did an app crash and lock-up the device? I've never seen this on an iPhone before.

Dec 22, 2022 8:34 AM in response to ArbeeNYC

I’ve very occasionally seen an iPhone or iPad lock up.

Once every several years’ heavy usage, per device, maybe?

Usually after some update, from the few I’ve met.

There are a few “locked-up” reports around here too, which is then a pretty rare occurrence out of a ~billion devices in use.

I don’t mean the following to cause increased concern (as an isolated lockup is probably nothing), but rather as a potential means to alleviate your concern: I usually purchase AppleCare+ coverage (mostly for the accidental damage coverage), as that extends the standard warranty, and increases the coverage.

iPhone SE shuts down in cold weather?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.