Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant Copy in NTFS External Hard Drive by Toshiba

Hello i am new to Mac. I been using a external hard drive which 1 TB which almost 75% is full with my old data. That drive is by NTFS file system now I am on Mac Pro M1 from there I need to copy some data to my that drive but i cant copy there

Found over google people said I need to format the drive then I can use that. For me moving data to other folder then formatting and copy back to data is not possible. I dont have any space also data is huge will take too much time.

Can some on guide me what the best and Authentic Solutions please. Really need solution urgent please.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 10:17 PM

Hey ahaom!

That’s a valid question.

I would recommend purchasing an external hard drive with enough capacity to what you need, (They aren’t too pricy).

I’d then format the external drive as:

ExFAT - format

Master Boot Record - Scheme

This should make most your files created or downloaded on Windows accessible on a Mac!

Partition schemes available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

You can the move whatever data you need from this external drive to your new Mac!

likewise, if you still have this PC, (Still unsure of the source computer), you can install iCloud for Windows to move data from your PC to your new Mac!:

Download iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

Hope something here helps, let me or anyone else here know if not, glad to help out if I can!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 10:17 PM in response to ahaomar

Hey ahaom!

That’s a valid question.

I would recommend purchasing an external hard drive with enough capacity to what you need, (They aren’t too pricy).

I’d then format the external drive as:

ExFAT - format

Master Boot Record - Scheme

This should make most your files created or downloaded on Windows accessible on a Mac!

Partition schemes available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

You can the move whatever data you need from this external drive to your new Mac!

likewise, if you still have this PC, (Still unsure of the source computer), you can install iCloud for Windows to move data from your PC to your new Mac!:

Download iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

Hope something here helps, let me or anyone else here know if not, glad to help out if I can!

Dec 22, 2022 3:38 AM in response to ahaomar

I also have the same problem with my NTFS drive, I don't want my data to be lost so can't format it, is there any way to fix this problem so that I can write/paste into this external drive?

1. tried changing permissions via get info option -- didn't work as it doesn't change and gives error that you don't have permission. BTW, against my name, I already see that read+write option is enabled but still not allowing.
  2. tried free software like iboysoft but that's asking for key and hence not helpful.

any suggestions?

Dec 27, 2022 6:51 AM in response to devesh1311

devesh1311 wrote:

thanks but problem is all these free softwares don't provide license key and hence of no use :(

Bottom line, you’ll need to pay for reliable software that allows macOS to read/write to a NTFS formatted drive. I wouldn’t trust any ‘free’ software with my data (my opinion). And by the way, Windows users go through the same hoops if they want to access macOS formatted drives.

Cant Copy in NTFS External Hard Drive by Toshiba

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.