AirPods Pro 2 case randomly beeps

For some context, I used to be a heavy Apple user -- iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, accessories, etc. -- but switched to Surface devices and then to Android as I don't like latest versions of macOS and iOS. (And, it's nice to have my computer and my drawing tablet in one, rather than being expected to carry a $3500 MacBook Pro, as well as a $1000 iPad Pro, complete with the $250 "please don't bend in half" keyboard case, all adding weight to my 32 pound tech backpack. But, I digress.)

I had been using AirPods Pro and they still worked perfectly with these other devices, so I figured I'd upgrade to the Pro 2s this Black Friday. Two years has reduced the battery life of my OG Pros, and I figured getting some better ANC and the volume gestures would be nice.

However, I quickly noticed that the charging case randomly beeps a lot. Sometimes not at all in a day, sometimes once a day, but sometimes 2-4 times a day. It's really annoying, because it's totally random, it's disruptive, and it's defiant in that I can't get it to stop beeping by pressing the button on the back or taking the AirPods out of the case and putting them back. It just does what it wants and I, the guy who paid $200, am at its mercy. (It would have been even more if not for the sale.)

I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the stalking prevention thing. I've had the notice come up on a few friends' devices while I was hanging out with them, which is harmless enough. They just asked if it was me and I said it was. But, I think that message exposes a button on the other device to make mine beep. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the beeping.

I think part of it also has to do with the fact that I don't have an iPhone for the AirPods to phone home to. As I mentioned, I switched to Windows and Android a bit over a year ago. I've heard it speculated that part of the Find My algorithm looks to see if the AirPods have been separated from the "parent" devices. Of course, I don't have another Apple product to vouch for me. The only one that might qualify is an iPad Pro I barely use and don't carry with me -- it's a Surface owner thing.

So, it would seem that while Apple's created this massive infrastructure to prevent the odd creep from following people, they seem to have overlooked the fact that:

A. I might not have $5000 worth of Apple devices on me at all times, and

B. I live in an apartment, with other people. Like, a lot of other people. People who, unlike me, have iPhones complete with "Make That Guy's Stuff Beep" buttons.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to make this beeping stop. After paying hundreds of dollars, I'm a little unimpressed that the device I paid for not only assumes I'm a stalker for arguably flimsy reasons, but then decides it's okay to randomly harass me over it. Trust me, I didn't buy the most expensive earbuds I could find to glue to someone's bumper like I'm out of some James Bond movie.

I noticed during my semi-annual use of my iPad, for the purposes of setting up the new AirPods, that they have a switch to opt out of the Find My network in some capacity. If I do opt out of Find My and reduce it to the "last used location only," will it stop bugging people about my AirPods existing in the same world as them, and in turn stop letting them beep me?

Honestly, if not, I could just as soon go back to my Pro 1s which are physically incapable of assuming I'm a stalker (and beeping). Or, venture off into the land of non-Apple earbuds. It would be a shame since AirPods are legitimately great earbuds, but Apple's generally been on the downhill with their products (in my own opinion of course). It would just be matter of course if I had to find a non-Apple replacement for these down the road, just like everything else of theirs that used to work perfectly.

I appreciate everyone who makes it through my entire life-story of a post, and look forward to whatever insight you have to offer in making my earbuds stop thinking I'm a criminal (literally 1984).

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 12:05 AM

EXACTLY! I can confirm that it does not correlate to any connectivity changes or battery/charging issues. It occurs on near 100% charged sets, both when they would connect automatically to my phone upon pulling them out, as well as when bluetooth on my phone is off. It purely the act of physically MOVING the charging case as I go to pick it up off the table, again on both my airpods pro 2 sets. WHY would simply moving the charging case cause it to play tones out loud with no good way to disable the setting??

Similar questions

79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2023 12:05 AM in response to enea177

EXACTLY! I can confirm that it does not correlate to any connectivity changes or battery/charging issues. It occurs on near 100% charged sets, both when they would connect automatically to my phone upon pulling them out, as well as when bluetooth on my phone is off. It purely the act of physically MOVING the charging case as I go to pick it up off the table, again on both my airpods pro 2 sets. WHY would simply moving the charging case cause it to play tones out loud with no good way to disable the setting??

Mar 17, 2023 2:34 PM in response to TheFireAlarmFox

I think i fixed it. I had the same problem.

Fix:

- connect airpods

- go to airpods settings

- scroll all the way down and forget device

- restart Iphone (not factory reset)

Do this to reset: click volume up button and release, click volume down button and release, hold power button until you see apple logo. Wait for iphone to restart and leave it for now.

Take your airpods, open the case and hold button on the back of the case until you see white flashing light then amber light and you will hear a sound similar to ending a call, that means airpods are reset.

Now take your iphone and bring it close to airpods and open the case and connect normally.

Problem should be fixed.

Tell me if you succeed. 😁

Feb 23, 2023 11:02 PM in response to dawngreg08

Turning charging sounds off does not fix the problem. I ve been to 3 different Apple stores around the world and every time the employees seemed puzzled and clueless. I am surprised Apple has not come up with a solution yet for such an expensive product. I am seriously considering returning them back and use the voucher to buy the air pods pro version 1. What a disappointment though…

Mar 19, 2023 6:04 PM in response to Nonobobono

Exactly the same here. Bought them on January 7, 2023 from a Walmart and they never made a peep after I disabled the charging case sounds. Then towards the end of February the case started going off around 4:00 AM one night when I was sleeping. It starts beeping and flashing green randomly sometime a few times a day or it can goes days without making a sound. Do you think maybe an iPhone update caused it?

Mar 26, 2023 11:50 PM in response to dawngreg08

I have the full-set of apple products and APP2s chime randomly when on the charger overnight. I have had to stop charging overnight as it wakes my partner each time. Turning off sounds is not a solution as I may need the speaker for Find My. It is incredibly irritating. Can’t the controls be changed to allow the chime be silenced independently?

Dec 23, 2022 10:52 AM in response to TheFireAlarmFox

Hello TheFireAlarmFox,

We're happy to provide some help for your AirPods.

You can turn off that beeping noise for the AirPods but by doing so it will disable the feature for your AirPods to play a sound in order to locate them if ever lost.

To disable the sound go to Settings > Tap on AirPods Pro > Scroll down and toggle off Enable Charging Case Sounds.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Apr 28, 2023 4:53 AM in response to dawngreg08

This isn’t a real fix and removes an extremely important feature of the extremely expensive AirPods….

fwiw mine were fine until I bought and started using a few AirTags… no my AirPods cases just randomly beep during the day loudly and it is very bery disruptive. Please actually fix this bug, I do not want to disable the ability to find and locate my AirPods in the future… thank you!

rajko

Mar 27, 2023 12:48 PM in response to Duncho

Duncho wrote:

Let’s see what others will report. Mine started chime occasionally after update to iOS 16.3.1. It does it 2-3 times a week randomly.

I'm certainly not denying that people have a problem. What I question is whether or not it's a software problem. I think it's far more likely to be a hardware problem. It's certainly a possibility people should explore while they are waiting for the next upgrade.

AirPods Pro 2 case randomly beeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.