Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

POSIX reports the operation could not be completed invalid argument

Hello, I have just purchased a Seagate external hard drive to use time machine on. However when I attempt to use Time Machine, and reformat the disk to allow me to do this, I get the error message "POSIX reports: The operation could not be completed invalid argument. The disk is correctly connected to my MAC using a USB cable. Now I cannot mount or dismount the disk. My MAC is 2013 running Catalonia 10.15.7. Any help welcome please

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 6:03 AM

For whatever reason the disk is improperly formatted, or something else is preventing communication with the Mac.

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable.
  3. Power on the Mac, log in, then launch Disk Utility: Disk Utility User Guide for Mac - Apple Support
  4. Select the Disk Utility's View menu > Show All Devices
  5. Connect the USB cable.
  6. If the drive has its own power supply, plug in its power cord.
  7. Select the device in Disk Utility and erase it. When erasing it, be sure to select the topmost device that corresponds to the Seagate drive — not a volume or container subordinate to that device. Click the Erase button.
  8. For Name: choose a name that is convenient for you. For example, "Backup" is ok.
  9. For Format: choose APFS
  10. For Scheme: choose GUID Partition Map
  11. Click Erase.
  12. Follow the rest of Apple's instructions for Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

If something does not work as described above, please explain the step at which you're getting stuck.

If there is a problem with that hard disk drive or its USB connection, I suspect it may be Step 7. If the drive is broken or unusable, it might not even appear in Disk Utility. That's a show-stopper, but there might be some steps you can take to definitively rule out that possibility. Write back if you need help.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 6:03 AM in response to mackie1960

For whatever reason the disk is improperly formatted, or something else is preventing communication with the Mac.

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable.
  3. Power on the Mac, log in, then launch Disk Utility: Disk Utility User Guide for Mac - Apple Support
  4. Select the Disk Utility's View menu > Show All Devices
  5. Connect the USB cable.
  6. If the drive has its own power supply, plug in its power cord.
  7. Select the device in Disk Utility and erase it. When erasing it, be sure to select the topmost device that corresponds to the Seagate drive — not a volume or container subordinate to that device. Click the Erase button.
  8. For Name: choose a name that is convenient for you. For example, "Backup" is ok.
  9. For Format: choose APFS
  10. For Scheme: choose GUID Partition Map
  11. Click Erase.
  12. Follow the rest of Apple's instructions for Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

If something does not work as described above, please explain the step at which you're getting stuck.

If there is a problem with that hard disk drive or its USB connection, I suspect it may be Step 7. If the drive is broken or unusable, it might not even appear in Disk Utility. That's a show-stopper, but there might be some steps you can take to definitively rule out that possibility. Write back if you need help.

POSIX reports the operation could not be completed invalid argument

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.