You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur, but my system preferences and the app store say that the version is not available or comparable wcompatableith my current os. Can you help?

I am trying to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur or a later OS, but my system preferences and the app store say that the version is not available or comparable wcompatableith my current os. Can you help?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 10:41 AM

What is the model year of your iMac?

The model year of an iMac is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A late 2012 through late 2013 iMac can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2014 and late 2014 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A late 2015 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12. See:How to download macOS - Apple Support

A 2017 or later iMac can be upgraded to the current version of Ventura macOS 13. See: How to upgrade to macOS Ventura - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 22, 2022 10:41 AM in response to mdandley

What is the model year of your iMac?

The model year of an iMac is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A late 2012 through late 2013 iMac can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2014 and late 2014 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download macOS - Apple Support

A late 2015 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12. See:How to download macOS - Apple Support

A 2017 or later iMac can be upgraded to the current version of Ventura macOS 13. See: How to upgrade to macOS Ventura - Apple Support

I am trying to update from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur, but my system preferences and the app store say that the version is not available or comparable wcompatableith my current os. Can you help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.