You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail on iOS does not comply with RFC 5322

Hello,

I am writing to share with you a problem that I have been observing for a few months.

This is an issue that only occurs in iOS Apple Mail when you're using the link protection offered by Google Workspace and some Gmail.com accounts.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/10036904?hl=en

"Protect users from suspicious links in IMAP email clients"

If you open a message sent from a Google account everything looks fine. But if the message comes from a Microsoft 365 or Outlook.com account, the names of some recipients are scrambled and don't read well.

It has to do with the original encoding of the message being Windows-1252 and at some point Apple Mail interpreting it as UTF-8.

It turns out that I work as a Google Cloud reseller and have been doing a lot of testing together with the Google support colleagues. What they tell me is that the Apple Mail app is not RFC 5322 compliant: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5322

Google has recently updated its servers and has aligned itself with this RFC. In Apple Mail for Mac everything is fine and there are no problems but in iOS it is a complete disaster.

Is it happening to you too?

Note to Apple Support: The Google support people are absolutely certain that there is a bug in Apple Mail. Can you please review it?

Y el mismo mensaje visto en Apple Mail en Mac

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 11:08 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apple Mail on iOS does not comply with RFC 5322

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.