Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Badges on Email Accounts

Hello!

Is there a way to turn off badge notifications on some email accounts, but not all? I have the outlook app on my MAC. In the outlook app, I have 3 mail accounts...Mine, my partners and another one. I ONLY want the badges to show on my mail account and not total for all 3. Is there a way to have 1 email account badges shown without the other 2 being included in the count?

Thank you in advance!

-Krystal

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 4:55 AM

I used to be able to turn off badges for one email account on my mail app. that is up until today when I paired my new apple watch. now badges can be turned off or on for ALL accounts, so turn off per App not per account. so annoying

7 replies

Dec 22, 2022 1:11 PM in response to Desert_PropertyTC

The badges and notifications can be turned on and off for the APP in settings, but not for individual email accounts within the app for a single logged in Mac user. This is also true for the apps for iPhones, for instance.

Apple even calls these icons APP ICONS, there is a single one for each APP, but not for each email account when a user has multiple such email accounts.

Apple's solution (which may or may not work for you) would be to create new user accounts on the Mac for the other users whose emails you currently receive email for. Then you would have them log into their user accounts on the Mac to see emails and email status. Your email account would the only one for you in your Mac user login, so you would no longer see a badge count of messages that includes their unread emails.

This can be fast because you can have fast user switching to switch quickly between Mac user accounts to access each one's emails, all can stay logged in.

I use both Outlook and Apple Mail and neither can show a badge notification that includes info for one email account but not the others when one single Mac user has multiple email accounts. The badge notification is for the app and all the email accounts that the logged in user accesses for that app.

Dec 22, 2022 1:31 PM in response to steve626

Steve,

Thank YOU! this is the most comprehensive response I have seen on the internet lol. I can't believe I am the only one who has had this question...and/or the other threads were archived.

I will consider that option you gave. I have never created more users on this MAC, so I didn't know that the ability to switch between users was so easy. Thank you again for this info as well! :)

Happy Holidays!

Dec 22, 2022 1:52 PM in response to Desert_PropertyTC

Glad it was helpful, wasn't sure you would like the solution proposed since it wasn't quite what you asked for, but the options are limited by the Mac OS here. l. Before you go changing anything significantly on your Mac, I suggest that you create a new user account on the Mac for one of those other email account users, and then try fast user switching to test it out.

You may have to activate it. When logged in as an administrator, go to System Preferences, Users and Groups, and Login Options, you will see a box to activate it. (This is how it works for Monterey, I don't have Ventura yet.)

To make it fast, you would leave all the users logged in to their respective Mac accounts, switching between accounts requires just typing a password (or using touch ID). Each Mac user account would then access its own emails and when logged in to each Mac account, the Outlook badge icon would show only that user's emails that are unread.

Dec 22, 2022 2:10 PM in response to steve626

Ok, great! Yes, it might work because it's only me who uses this computer. So creating this new user, will still be me, but a way to separate email accounts. I followed your direction and it's pretty much the same. The login options show on the main screen in Users & Groups.

This shouldn't be this difficult though, Apple needs to make the settings more customizable. We spend enough on their stuff!

Badges on Email Accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.