Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Settings

I have an HP printer and it will send me notifications when my supplies are low if I provide information. I have not had luck and finding the required information. A screen shot of the data entry window is included.

Here are the blanks-

Email address -- this one I know

SMTP Server -- not sure - Google says. smtp.mail.me.com

SMTP Port -- I have tried bth 25 and 587 without success

Next there is a section for email log-in Authentication

User ID -- I think this is my email (which is my AppleID)

Password -- I think this is my AppleID password.

But when I enter the above information into he form and click Save and Test, the system reports an error "The printer is unable to connect to the remote destination. Check your configurations and try again."

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 7:04 PM

Don’t use Google, use Apple: iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps - Apple Support

That support document contains a link to another support document showing you how to setup an app-specific password. All of Apple’s built-in authentication uses Apple software. Apple assumes that any non-Apple client is inherently untrustworthy. Therefore, in order to use them to access your Apple ID, you need to generate dedicated, app-specific passwords that you easily revoke, if necessary. And you can manage all of your app-specific passwords in one place instead of distributing your main Apple ID password across the internet where it will be used for nefarious purposes.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 7:04 PM in response to Twocybers

Don’t use Google, use Apple: iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps - Apple Support

That support document contains a link to another support document showing you how to setup an app-specific password. All of Apple’s built-in authentication uses Apple software. Apple assumes that any non-Apple client is inherently untrustworthy. Therefore, in order to use them to access your Apple ID, you need to generate dedicated, app-specific passwords that you easily revoke, if necessary. And you can manage all of your app-specific passwords in one place instead of distributing your main Apple ID password across the internet where it will be used for nefarious purposes.

Dec 23, 2022 7:28 AM in response to Twocybers

Twocybers wrote:

I was not aware of the need to use an App Specific password. I have lived in the Apple world and this is the first time I needed that.

That makes sense. When you live in the Apple world, everything works together seamlessly. But when you integrated some 3rd party app into your Apple world, you have to take additional precautions.

Apple Mail Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.