Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Attach a photo from Photos to an email

Is it possible to attach a photo or phots from PHOTOS to an email?

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 12:05 AM

Easiest way:

Select the photo(s) you want to email and then use the Share button - that's the one on the top of the window that's a Square with an arrow arising from it:

You can also come the other way, and in your Email client use the Attach button (often a paper clip icon)...

6 replies

Dec 23, 2022 9:26 AM in response to philipfrombc

Here are some additional thoughts which I hope are helpful. I have found that different email apps often handle attachments differently.

• For example, Thunderbird allows me to simply drag JPGs directly into the body of the email and easily resize it by dragging its corners. Mail won't allow that. Other apps can limit the size of an insert to only certain set sizes.
  • Different formats can act differently, Some will display and some will not.
  • It is always a good idea to read the app's Help information to get specifics on how to do something.

Dec 23, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Ronasara

• For example, Thunderbird allows me to simply drag JPGs directly into the body of the email and easily resize it by dragging its corners. Mail won't allow that. Other apps can limit the size of an insert to only certain set sizes.

What exactly is being resized there? The display of he image? Of upon downloading are the dimensions of the image altered? Does this have an effect on file size?

Dec 23, 2022 9:16 AM in response to philipfrombc

Yer_Man gives the easy way, especially when you're just starting an email. Share always starts a new email. I never think ahead, though. If I've already started the email, share doesn't put the picture in the email I'm working on.

So one thing I do, if the picture is to a friend, is just drag the picture over from Photos into the email where I want it. I say "to a friend" because this copy, like the Share version, includes keywords, captions, and such stuff that I might not want to include in business correspondence.

If the picture is for not-a-friend, then I use "File>Export>Export 1 photo," and I can turn off all the extra info. Then I save it to the Desktop, and drag it from there to the email. I delete if from the Desktop--I don't need it there anymore.

Dec 23, 2022 10:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

The image display is resized. I haven't checked to see if it affects the file size, but I suspect that it does. I send out a lot of emails with JPGs in them. Some are very large and I drag to reduce the size. Others need to be enlarged. As I mentioned, some email apps only allow you to select their versions of small, medium or large, for example.

How to Attach a photo from Photos to an email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.