Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private Relay Stuck On "Loading"

I have a MacBook Pro 16" 2021 running the new Ventura 13.1. I tried to enable the new Private Relay feature in iCloud but it has been stuck on "Loading" for a couple of weeks (since I installed Ventura 13.1) and I can't turn it off. I have enabled Private Relay on my other Apple devices (iPhone 12 mini and iPad Pro 4th Generation) with absolutely no issues. How can I get this fixed?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 3:26 AM

I will tell you how I solved this: I deleted NordVPN app, also FortinetClient VPN (from work), then I was able to reach the Settings > Icloud > Private Relay and turn it off.

Private Relay is not compatible with other VPN settings (a warning message shows up when you try to enable the setting and gets stuck).

I hope this solve your issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 3:26 AM in response to benzbum

I will tell you how I solved this: I deleted NordVPN app, also FortinetClient VPN (from work), then I was able to reach the Settings > Icloud > Private Relay and turn it off.

Private Relay is not compatible with other VPN settings (a warning message shows up when you try to enable the setting and gets stuck).

I hope this solve your issue.

Jan 9, 2023 8:58 AM in response to juan josefromtorrelodones

Thank you! This was exactly the hint I needed. Although I had turned-off and disabled by VPN (ExpressVPN) before trying to start Private Relay, I had not deleted/removed the application from my MacBook Pro. Once did totally delete the application, the toggle to turn off Private Relay appeared and was accessible. I was finally able to turn it off and get my machine back.

I have elected not to use Private Relay on my MacBook as I use if for work in addition to personal use. My employer requires I have a VPN installed so I can't use Private Relay if it is incompatible with my VPN. Once I got Private Relay turned off, I reinstalled my VPN and reenabled it. I won't be turning Private Relay on.

I will note that I was able to start Private Relay on my iPad Pro - 4th Generation (iPadOS Version 16.2) with the VPN installed but not enabled. Living dangerously, I reenabled my VPN once Private Relay was turned on and they have been coexisting problem-free for about a month, now. No known or observed issues.

Private Relay Stuck On "Loading"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.