Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network mapped drives only show the name of the drive but do not show a disk icon (MacOS Ventura 13.1)

I am mounting a bunch of network drives that are listed in my login items. Even I just mount them manually this is all that I see - the names but no disk icon. You can see below that if you highlight the text it will just highlight an empty box. (I do have the setting checked in Finder Settings to show "External disks" and "Connected servers"

This is not a manufacturer issue. In the above picture one is a Synology NAS mount and the other is a disk attached to an Apple Airport Extreme.

If I open a finder window from the root all of the network drives do have an icon. They are only missing one on the desktop.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 7:43 PM

First, let me say that's really weird. I have never seen that before.

There is a seldom-used 'trick' in the GetInfo box. The drive Icon there is selectable.

It can be copied and pasted.

If you have access to a drive icon you like, try copying it and pasting it in the drive Icon in the getInfo window and see if that helps at all.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 7:43 PM in response to raymondjiii

First, let me say that's really weird. I have never seen that before.

There is a seldom-used 'trick' in the GetInfo box. The drive Icon there is selectable.

It can be copied and pasted.

If you have access to a drive icon you like, try copying it and pasting it in the drive Icon in the getInfo window and see if that helps at all.

Dec 24, 2022 6:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That is AMAZING!!! I never would have tried a "Cmd-V" in that little box! Thank you.

I found a decent matching icon with no background so it looks good but I will search for one that is the exact size.

PS: I only got into this because after upgrading to Ventura, Time Machine would keep "forgetting" my TM disks, not report accurate last backups, cmd-line util tmutil had it's own issues as well. So "Apple" recommended, after doing their tests, to format the disk and start over. I have to say that that is one thing I thought I would never have to do owning a Mac!

Dec 24, 2022 6:33 AM in response to raymondjiii

DOH! You can just copy from another disk icon and paste. I just watched a youtube video where a guy shows how to find all of the MacOS system icons, but they are not exactly what you see on the desktop - the front of the disks are a little different.

TimeMachine2 is a copy from the /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle (right click show contents to see all icons)

I can finally sleep at night!

Network mapped drives only show the name of the drive but do not show a disk icon (MacOS Ventura 13.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.