Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start Late 2014 Mac Mini From External Drive

I've read the post by Jack-19 (link below) titled "Use an external SSD as your startup disk with your iMac or Mac mini" but have a question. Does the internal have to be an Apple HD, or can it also be an Apple SSD. I have an opportunity to purchase a Late 2014 Mac Mini from OWC that has (per their description) "This machine comes with a 256GB Apple OEM/Factory Solid-State Drive". Anyone have one of these and has been able to boot off an external SSD?

Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 11:28 AM

There is no need to startup from an external SSD if the Mac mini has an internal SSD. In fact, running from the internal SSD is much faster and more reliable than running from an external SSD.

If you have more than a 256GB of data, other options include:

1) storing your Photos and/or Music libraries on a external drive

2) configuring the OWC Mac mini with a 500GB or 1T internal SSD

Also FWIW, I would pass on the older 2014 model and go for a 2018 Space Gray or the latest M1 model.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 11:28 AM in response to MargeHomer

There is no need to startup from an external SSD if the Mac mini has an internal SSD. In fact, running from the internal SSD is much faster and more reliable than running from an external SSD.

If you have more than a 256GB of data, other options include:

1) storing your Photos and/or Music libraries on a external drive

2) configuring the OWC Mac mini with a 500GB or 1T internal SSD

Also FWIW, I would pass on the older 2014 model and go for a 2018 Space Gray or the latest M1 model.

Start Late 2014 Mac Mini From External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.