Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Icon (My Computer) stuck on desktop

I've been going through my new MacBook M1 Max, getting it set up and all that. I get to the General>About>Name to rename it because I have another MacBook and it get's confusing. After I renamed it, I now have an icon on my desktop that would be the equivalent to "My Computer" in Windows stuck there. I've tried Finder's Settings but that just removes/hides the hard drive and I like that one.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 8:29 AM

hollandismine wrote:

I’ve tried trashcan, Finder settings to turn off and it’s not recognized as a drive. I like having my hard drive visible since OS X, without it feels weird. It’s just why did I get an icon on my desktop after renaming my Mac and why can’t it go away? The info pane doesn’t even show it as an Alia’s so it’s behaving like the hard drive icon, as in not showing up in the desktop folder.

Maybe it is seeing it as a connected server... That is a Finder>Setting>General.

No insight try a  A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2022 8:29 AM in response to hollandismine

hollandismine wrote:

I’ve tried trashcan, Finder settings to turn off and it’s not recognized as a drive. I like having my hard drive visible since OS X, without it feels weird. It’s just why did I get an icon on my desktop after renaming my Mac and why can’t it go away? The info pane doesn’t even show it as an Alia’s so it’s behaving like the hard drive icon, as in not showing up in the desktop folder.

Maybe it is seeing it as a connected server... That is a Finder>Setting>General.

No insight try a  A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Dec 25, 2022 8:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

Dec 25, 2022 7:58 AM in response to hollandismine

hollandismine wrote:

I've been going through my new MacBook M1 Max, getting it set up and all that. I get to the General>About>Name to rename it because I have another MacBook and it get's confusing. After I renamed it, I now have an icon on my desktop that would be the equivalent to "My Computer" in Windows stuck there. I've tried Finder's Settings but that just removes/hides the hard drive and I like that one.

Drag it to the Trashcan to remove it...(?)

Those icons on the Desktop are not necessary , a throwback historically but no practical advantage today

—not to mention take up valuable screen real estate.

Finder>Settings>General> Turn OFF> hard disk / external Disk and compare your results

On a local Network with more then one similar device—to avoid a conflict it will amend the name, or from the Sharing pane you can edit here:

ref:

Macbook Icon (My Computer) stuck on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.