Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer files

I have a MacBook Air 2022 and a MacBook Pro (late 2013). To transfer files between the laptops I usually download the files to a USB stick and then move the stick to the other laptop and upload the files to the new laptop. I'm thinking if I had a cable between the two laptops it may be easier (quicker)to transfer the files, like I do with transferring files to my iPhone. Can use a cable between the two laptops? Which cable?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 7:21 AM

Hi Horst,

Yes, you can use a cable to transfer files between these two computers. You will need the following, which can be purchased directly from Apple:

Once you have the necessary items, put your old MacBook Pro (2013) into Target Disk Mode, and connect it to your new MacBook Air: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support (CA)

If you intend to copy over most or all of your data from your old MacBook Pro, use Migration Assistant on the MacBook Air. It's located in Applications -> Utilities.

Otherwise, the MacBook Pro should appear in the Finder on the MacBook Air. If there's any items on the MacBook Pro that are marked with a red minus sign in the Finder, such as your old user account, let me know and I can provide a way to view those files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 7:21 AM in response to horstfrombrisbane

Hi Horst,

Yes, you can use a cable to transfer files between these two computers. You will need the following, which can be purchased directly from Apple:

Once you have the necessary items, put your old MacBook Pro (2013) into Target Disk Mode, and connect it to your new MacBook Air: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support (CA)

If you intend to copy over most or all of your data from your old MacBook Pro, use Migration Assistant on the MacBook Air. It's located in Applications -> Utilities.

Otherwise, the MacBook Pro should appear in the Finder on the MacBook Air. If there's any items on the MacBook Pro that are marked with a red minus sign in the Finder, such as your old user account, let me know and I can provide a way to view those files.

Transfer files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.