Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my wallet only works without case

I have bought a leather MagSafe wallet and only just realised that it works with find my. With the case off it does but with the MagSafe silicone case on it does not find the wallet anymore but of course physically it sticks. The case is the Apple silicone case for an iPhone 12 which according to my research should work. Has anyone experienced the same?

Not a massive issue but I was hoping I can make it work. To reiterate the find my feature works but only with the Apple silicone case off. I have read that the clear MagSafe case is not compatible.

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 3:15 PM

This does not work!

the problem is that the wallet is not recognized from the iPhone if the iPhone is in a case (an Apple one at that)!

If you attach your wallet directly to the iPhone, without the case, the detached feature works. If the iPhone has a case, the wallet will not be recognize. A pretty BIG design flaw if you ask me.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 3:15 PM in response to UTBadger

This does not work!

the problem is that the wallet is not recognized from the iPhone if the iPhone is in a case (an Apple one at that)!

If you attach your wallet directly to the iPhone, without the case, the detached feature works. If the iPhone has a case, the wallet will not be recognize. A pretty BIG design flaw if you ask me.

Dec 27, 2022 4:51 PM in response to hoevenb

Hey hoevenb,

We'd be happy to help out. This appears to be by design and not unexpected. If your wallet is attached to your iPhone or the case attached to your iPhone, there wouldn't be any need to be able to locate the wallet, since it's on the iPhone. You'd just look at the iPhone location instead.

You can however enable separation alerts if your wallet detaches from your iPhone using a MagSafe silicone case as outlined here:

Get notified when your iPhone Wallet with MagSafe detaches from your iPhone
You can get an alert one minute after your iPhone Wallet with MagSafe and Find My support separates from your iPhone. Then you can use the Find My app to see its last known location on a map.
1. Tap Devices at the bottom of the screen, then tap the name of your iPhone Wallet with MagSafe.
2. Below Notifications, tap Notify When Detached.
3. Turn off or on Notify When Detached, then tap Done.

This is outlined in more detail here: Set separation alerts in case you leave a device behind in Find My on iPhone

We hope this helps.

Take care!

Find my wallet only works without case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.