Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change payment method in Apple ID

I can't change or add a payment method in my iCloud or Apple ID.

The payment method that I see is from a family member who died 2 years ago. I don't have the option to remove of change this payment method. I believe I see this because we used Family sharing.

When I login to my iCloud account (via the browser). I can't change the payment method either.

Device: iPhone 7, OS 15.7.1

I can login to the iCloud account of the family member who died. But I can not change anything there either.

What can I do?

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:04 AM

Hi Limnos,

The deceased family member was the Organizer.

I disconnected Family sharing option and logged out of Apple ID / iCloud. Then signed in again. Then I saw the options to add a new payment method :-)

Problem is solved now.

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 27, 2022 9:36 AM in response to michiel118

Who is the Organizer of the family sharing group?

You say you can log into the -presumably- Organizer's account but, "I can not change anything there either." More details about that would help. Maybe? -->

To find out how to remove a payment method, or if you can't remove your last payment method or use no payment method with your Apple ID, read this article --> Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

- Ongoing subscriptions and Family Sharing organizers must always have a payment method present. To edit the cards used for those you may need to first add the new card and make it the primary payment method before removing the old card ( If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support ).

This document explains how to add a payment method to your Apple ID on a Mac, Apple mobile devices, or PC. Click here --> Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

You may find the technical requirements for a payment method in the Organizer's name in the end mandate you disband the entire family sharing group and start it again with a new organizer:

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support --> Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support --> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

From: Hi, how do I make me to family organizer,… - Apple Community

"If there are children under 13 years old, the new organizer needs to leave the existing family, set up the new family, and then the under 13 years old children can be transferred to the new family. Then disband the old family and join the new family."

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing ---> Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Can't change payment method in Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.