Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About AirPrint

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I DO NOT want to use AirPrint with my Epson ET-8550. How do I prevent this from automatically happening?

Bought an Epson ET-8550 and do not want AirPrint handling color management. I have watched Keith Cooper's installation video and Jose Rodriguez's. Both say don't allow AirPrint to be selected as driver but how do I prevent that? They don't give any info on that and I see queries from lots of people who have had AirPrint inadvertently loaded as default. So how do I stop this from happening? I'm worried I'll be stuck with a $700 paperweight or need to switch to a PC.

TIA

Mack

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 12:10 PM

AirPrint drivers tend to be very simplistic, which is why color management in that mode doesn't usually have as many features.

To work around that, follow these steps.

1. First, download the User's Guide in PDF format from Epson's page here. This will make it much easier to follow the steps when we're referencing the same manual.
  2. Go to page 41 of the PDF.
  3. Use the printer's screen to select a Wi-Fi connection. Select your router's name from the list that appears. It's not unusual (as you likely know) to also see a bunch of your neighbor's Wi-Fi signals.
  4. Enter your router's Wi-Fi password when prompted (page 42). Use the router's 5G or 2.4G password per your preference. 5G is faster. 2.4G is slower but has more range.
  5. Assuming the setup is successful, you'll now be able to use the full driver's from Epson and have access to it's color management options.
  6. Install the drivers from Epson's site.
  7. Open the System Preferences (System Settings in Ventura). Choose to add a new printer. The Epson should appear as a choice as the Mac will pick up it up via the router. You should get something similar to this:

Under the Use: dropdown menu, it should automatically pick up the drivers you just installed. If not, click the arrows at the right to manually choose the correct drivers.

That's it. You'll now have access to the printer's full color options. The one difference is if you're printing from an iPhone or iPad, your only choice will be AirPrint. And on those devices, you have no color control at all. But, I doubt you'll be doing your color work from those.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 12:10 PM in response to WhateverWhatever1234

AirPrint drivers tend to be very simplistic, which is why color management in that mode doesn't usually have as many features.

To work around that, follow these steps.

1. First, download the User's Guide in PDF format from Epson's page here. This will make it much easier to follow the steps when we're referencing the same manual.
  2. Go to page 41 of the PDF.
  3. Use the printer's screen to select a Wi-Fi connection. Select your router's name from the list that appears. It's not unusual (as you likely know) to also see a bunch of your neighbor's Wi-Fi signals.
  4. Enter your router's Wi-Fi password when prompted (page 42). Use the router's 5G or 2.4G password per your preference. 5G is faster. 2.4G is slower but has more range.
  5. Assuming the setup is successful, you'll now be able to use the full driver's from Epson and have access to it's color management options.
  6. Install the drivers from Epson's site.
  7. Open the System Preferences (System Settings in Ventura). Choose to add a new printer. The Epson should appear as a choice as the Mac will pick up it up via the router. You should get something similar to this:

Under the Use: dropdown menu, it should automatically pick up the drivers you just installed. If not, click the arrows at the right to manually choose the correct drivers.

That's it. You'll now have access to the printer's full color options. The one difference is if you're printing from an iPhone or iPad, your only choice will be AirPrint. And on those devices, you have no color control at all. But, I doubt you'll be doing your color work from those.

Dec 28, 2022 11:49 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the response.

With a pro photo printer you use ICC profiles from art paper manufacturers to get the highest quality printing reproduction. This means being able to direct the printer to use color profiles specific to your printer, ink, and paper downloaded from the paper manufacturer.

AirPrint is a stripped down driver that doesn’t allow you to do this and according to the apple support article AirPrint is automatically set up when you install a printer.

I don’t want that. I want to use the Epson driver so I get the full potential of my printer. How do I stop the AirPrint driver from being automatically installed?

I hope that better explains my problem.

Mack

Dec 28, 2022 5:03 PM in response to WhateverWhatever1234

Another "yes" to a cabled connection. I focused on Wi-Fi since it sounded like that was your goal. As in, the printer wasn't situated where running a cable would be feasible.

So, you can skip Wi-Fi altogether and do either of the following.

1. Connect a USB cable directly between the printer and the Mac.
  2. Connect an Ethernet cable between the LAN port of the printer to any open LAN port on your router.

The first limits usage of the printer to the computer it's connected to. The second allows any device on your internal network (connected to the router) to use the printer.

Dec 28, 2022 10:55 AM in response to WhateverWhatever1234

The manual for that printer/scanner indicates that Ethernet is an option with an RJ45 cable.

How does the AirPrint affect the colors of a print? I've go an Epson XP-7100 model and its output is right on with AirPrint. I have my monitor set to the sRGB ICE61956-2 color profile which is nearly identical to the Apple RGB or the Camera RGB..

Have you downloaded a color chart and ;printed it via Airrint to see how it matches, i.e. something like this?

You can try downloading this image and use it. Should be large enough. It's got the sRGB ICE61956-2 color mode.

Dec 28, 2022 10:36 AM in response to WhateverWhatever1234

First, I do not understand why AirPrint should not be used. Second, I do not understand why someone would accept that recommendation without some justifying information. AirPrint is the way that new printers will be used. That said, I would check Epson's web site and download a driver for the printer that will work with your installed operating system. Then connect the printer with a USB cord and set it up for a physical connection.

Dec 28, 2022 12:48 PM in response to WhateverWhatever1234

I had the same problems, with a CANON PIXMA G4200 using AirPrint to print quality photos, as listed on the sites listed below.

I wasn’t impressed with the finished product, and did a deep dive to find a solution.

My primary Mac device is now hardwired to the printer with a USB cable, and I do not use AirPrint.

Also, I’m still connected to the printer via AirPrint when using a laptop and iPads, for quick and dirty jobs.

I’m now completely satisfied with the quality of printed photos, after going hard wire.

Printing and Other Problems in macOS, especially 'Mojave', 'Catalina', 'Big Sur', 'Monterey' and maybe 'Ventura'.

https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-mac_colour_problems.shtml

Printing Images with Application (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) Colour Management on an Canon from a Mac

https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-mac.shtml

APPLE USERS – STOP USING AIRPRINT TO PRINT YOUR PHOTOS

https://www.diyphotography.net/apple-users-stop-using-airprint-to-print-your-photos/

Dec 28, 2022 12:56 PM in response to lkrupp

Thanks so much for the helpful reply.

I didn't want to set up via wifi because I was sure I'd have AirPrint installed.

"you were asked to login to your WiFi network. Turn it off."

I don't understand the part about after connecting the usb cable. Where will I find this? Systems preferences, on the printer screen? I'm confused.

Thanks for your expertise

Mack

Dec 28, 2022 2:18 PM in response to WhateverWhatever1234

Most likely you have a cable that came with the printer It will have USB connecters. Connect one end of it to the printer's input USB connecter and plug the other end into one of your Mac's USB connecter's. That's all there is to the physical part of it. You must still set up the printer in the Mac's Printers and Scanners section of System Settings (or Preferences).

Dec 28, 2022 3:23 PM in response to Ronasara

Ronasara wrote:

Most likely you have a cable that came with the printer It will have USB connecters. Connect one end of it to the printer's input USB connecter and plug the other end into one of your Mac's USB connecter's. That's all there is to the physical part of it. You must still set up the printer in the Mac's Printers and Scanners section of System Settings (or Preferences).

And if you leave WiFi on you should see two printer choices when you select the printer. One will say AirPrint and the other will say USB. That’s why I recommended turning WiFi off on your printer so you won ’t see that option. Refer to your printers manual on how to do that.

Dec 28, 2022 5:35 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks, Kurt, you've been really helpful.

The screenshot above with the "use" drop down is the key to the problem apparently. I'm really appreciative for that info.

I've always intended to use it USB-cabled so I'll just start with that when I set it up tomorrow and hopefully all goes well.

So thanks again! (You are a level 10 in my opinion.)

Mack

I DO NOT want to use AirPrint with my Epson ET-8550. How do I prevent this from automatically happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.