Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airprint or driver

I have just purchased a wireless printer. (Brother MFC-2717DW.) It is airprint enabled. Should I use airprint or download the driver.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 11:23 AM

Hi,

Do you mean the Brother MFC-L2717DW?

Brother recommends AirPrint (for macOS 11 Big Sur and macOS 12 Monterey):

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2717dw_us&os=10072

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Make sure that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) and wireless (Wi-Fi) connections, so you could connect the printer to one of the LAN ports of the router if you so wish.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 11:23 AM in response to BMacg1rl

Hi,

Do you mean the Brother MFC-L2717DW?

Brother recommends AirPrint (for macOS 11 Big Sur and macOS 12 Monterey):

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2717dw_us&os=10072

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Make sure that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) and wireless (Wi-Fi) connections, so you could connect the printer to one of the LAN ports of the router if you so wish.

Jul 8, 2022 6:43 AM in response to BMacg1rl

AirPrint is best as it does not involve needing any extra third party software drivers to be installed which could break with an OS update or upgrade which then requires you to wait on the third party developer to update their software. Minimizing the amount of third party software on a computer usually results in a more stable & secure system.

Of course the third party software may provide some other features or abilities, but only you can determine if those items are actually needed or can your existing software already be leveraged to do the same things? Personally I try to avoid any unnecessary software from the device manufacturer as it usually includes way too much extra junk which these days may even involve advertising and tracking personal habits & information. I'm not accusing Brother of this practice (I do like their printers a lot), but it is a very common practice these days unfortunately so it is something people should always consider.

Airprint or driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.