Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expresscard 34 to Thunderbolt

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro that I want to connect up to a Thunderbolt Display. The only way I can think of connecting it is via an express card 34 to Thunderbolt adapter. DVI won't work because Thunderbolt carries more than just video, like FireWire, USB, Ethernet and more. And if express card 34 doesn't work, what will?

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 1:00 PM

thanks for that link to wikipedia:

Macs released before 2011 without Thunderbolt, the 2012 Mac Pro and the single USB-C Retina MacBook are incompatible with the Thunderbolt Display without use of additional adaptors.[2]

to the best of my knowledge, there are no adapters that can make your computer compatible with that display.

In general, to use Thunderbolt peripherals, a Mac must have left the factory with ThunderBolt on board -- it can not be added [or adapted] later.

the footnote-linked Apple specs say:

System Requirements

• Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac

• OS X v10.6.8 or later

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 1:00 PM in response to cash12

thanks for that link to wikipedia:

Macs released before 2011 without Thunderbolt, the 2012 Mac Pro and the single USB-C Retina MacBook are incompatible with the Thunderbolt Display without use of additional adaptors.[2]

to the best of my knowledge, there are no adapters that can make your computer compatible with that display.

In general, to use Thunderbolt peripherals, a Mac must have left the factory with ThunderBolt on board -- it can not be added [or adapted] later.

the footnote-linked Apple specs say:

System Requirements

• Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac

• OS X v10.6.8 or later

Expresscard 34 to Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.