Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security after major compromise of my computer

After a major issue with very sophisticated internet criminals, I have purchased and installed Malwarebytes Premium, Intego Premium, and Clean My Mac. They are all installed on my 2017 iMac system using Ventura...is it a problem if I keep all of these and if so exactly which features should I eliminate?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 7:09 PM

This is major overkill. Many diehard longtime Mac users would say you don't need any of those. But if I had to choose for myself personally, I would only use Malwarebytes and get rid of the others. What you have is a situation where all three apps are competing for the same end purpose. Major overkill, let alone eating up resources and performance of the machine.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 7:09 PM in response to alliesnana

This is major overkill. Many diehard longtime Mac users would say you don't need any of those. But if I had to choose for myself personally, I would only use Malwarebytes and get rid of the others. What you have is a situation where all three apps are competing for the same end purpose. Major overkill, let alone eating up resources and performance of the machine.

Dec 29, 2022 6:08 AM in response to alliesnana

malwarebytes is a fairly good program. but you should NOT leave it running in the background, and instead only run it if you feel you've managed to install some malware.

however, both intego and clean my Mac are complete garbage. they are well known to cause serious issues within macOS while providing zero protection or benefit. many serious problems posted here are solved by uninstalling that junkware. you should avoid it like a swarm of bees.

if you are concerned with keeping your mac safe and clean, i'll recommend reading Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but it's worth your time to read every word.

Security after major compromise of my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.