Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iOS 16 has broken my IPAD (version6)

My Ipad (version 6) was working perfectly fine until I update it to the latest iOS. Now it broken. It keeps just rebooting. I am able to put it into recovery mode. I have tried to even restore to factory settings but that doesn't work either. Itune is still trying to push iOS 16 onto the system. I subscribed to TuneKit iOS System Recovery to try to restore my iPad and that is as useless as Itunes. I just feel screwed over for updating my operating system. The iPad is currently plugged in but I have no idea of its battery power. I thought a factory setting would put it back to its original ios and not back into the ios that seem to be killing it. The iPad wants to boot, it fails, it shuts down, and then tries to do it all over again. Is anyone else having the same issues?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 6:55 AM

Having updated to iPadOS16, you cannot roll-back/reinstall iPadOS15.

Start by connecting your iPad to its Power Adapter and allow the iPad to charge undisturbed for at least an hour - or preferably overnight. This step is advised as a battery with very low charge, or is failing, may produce symptoms that emulate a boot loop.

If the problem fails to stabilise, whilst still connected to the Power Adapter, attempt a forced restart of the iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen. Or if your iPad isn’t working correctly after you restart it, see the iPad Support website.

If your iPad is stuck is actually stuck in a boot-loop, you’ll need to resolve this specific issue - which may entail “restoring” the most recent version of iPadOS to the iPad. This support page outlines restoration of an iPad to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

This support page may help with accessing iPad’s recovery mode:

If you can't update or restore your iPad - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 6:55 AM in response to cathalb77

Having updated to iPadOS16, you cannot roll-back/reinstall iPadOS15.

Start by connecting your iPad to its Power Adapter and allow the iPad to charge undisturbed for at least an hour - or preferably overnight. This step is advised as a battery with very low charge, or is failing, may produce symptoms that emulate a boot loop.

If the problem fails to stabilise, whilst still connected to the Power Adapter, attempt a forced restart of the iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen. Or if your iPad isn’t working correctly after you restart it, see the iPad Support website.

If your iPad is stuck is actually stuck in a boot-loop, you’ll need to resolve this specific issue - which may entail “restoring” the most recent version of iPadOS to the iPad. This support page outlines restoration of an iPad to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

This support page may help with accessing iPad’s recovery mode:

If you can't update or restore your iPad - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Dec 29, 2022 6:46 AM in response to KiltedTim

Doesn't work. I have tried to restore via Itunes and via TuneKit iOS System Recovery (Deep Repair) and both option just dont work. The iPad tries to boot, I see the Apple icon, I see a load bar for about 1sec and then it switches off and it repaeats over and over again. Its like iOS16.2 is incomptaible with my device. Its unable to load it.

Jan 1, 2023 2:18 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you LotusPilot for your help to try to resolve my ipad problem. I have managed to connect my iPad to iTunes in both Recovery and DFU modes. I have tried the Updates and Restore options and both options are always successful to load onto the iPad but my iPad almost always fails to boot to the Home Screen. Twice in about 2 days, has the iPad managed to get to the Home Screen but within about 20-30sec of actually inputting my details, the iPad just reboots and never gets to the Home Screen again. The first time I got a Home Screen, the battery said 22% power. The 2nd time I got a Home screen, iPad restarted before I could see the battery power. Its a strange one. I have an iPad 3, it's 10years old, super slow but still works.

New iOS 16 has broken my IPAD (version6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.