Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad bootlooping after I tried to update it via Finder on my MacBook

Hi! I have an 8th gen iPad 10.2 and I tried to update it to 16.2 recently via Finder on my MacBook (since it was throwing up failed-to-download errors via Software Update in Settings, it has 10GBs of free space so that shouldn't be an issue for a ~1GB update) and as soon as it started to prepare to update after extracting the files, the iPad just started bootlooping. It goes from the white Apple logo to the Recovery splash screen for a split second and then shuts down. This loops over and over until I unplug it from my Mac.

I've tried updating and restoring my iPad with different cables, different Macs, and PCs and nothing has worked. I tried to restore it via DFU but that didn't work either, it just resulted in the same bootloop. I've had this issue earlier where it was resolved by using a USB-A to Lightning cable (not the USB-C to Lightning cable that comes in the box) but I don't have that anymore. I don't assume this is a normal thing everyone has to do do just to restore an iPad, is there anyone else who's had the same issue? Any help would be appreciated!

iPad

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 10:06 AM

Yup, using the USB-A to Lightning cable to update/restore ended up working for me too! (although I had to put mine into DFU mode)

Glad to know it worked for you as well. This seems to be happening to quite a few people, had like 3 people on Reddit say they fixed their iPad with just using a USB-A cable too.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 10:06 AM in response to Pending_

Yup, using the USB-A to Lightning cable to update/restore ended up working for me too! (although I had to put mine into DFU mode)

Glad to know it worked for you as well. This seems to be happening to quite a few people, had like 3 people on Reddit say they fixed their iPad with just using a USB-A cable too.

Dec 13, 2022 9:07 PM in response to abdwhb

abdwhb Said:

"iPad bootlooping after I tried to update it via Finder on my MacBook: Hi! I have an 8th gen iPad 10.2 and I tried to update it to 16.2 recently via Finder on my MacBook[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Being Stuck in a Boot Loop:

Your iPhone apparently is stuck in a boot loop. And this typically happens when you unsuccessfully download somethings or an update stalls.  So, refer to my User Tip: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - User Tip

Dec 13, 2022 9:37 PM in response to abdwhb

abdwhb Said:

"iPad bootlooping after I tried to update it via Finder on my MacBook: Hi, thanks for replying! As I mentioned above in the post, restoring and updating both do not work. Is there any workaround for someone with this issue or is this a rare occurrence?"

-------

Set this Up Anew:

Yes. What you've reported is a rare occurrence. So, from here, I'd say, set up your iPhone anew, as if you were to sell it. Perform as instructed here, including the backup(if possible): What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade In your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2022 9:47 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi, I cannot do any of this as I cannot access the OS on the iPad. I cannot even restore it. I guess the only option I have left is to take it to an authorized service provider? If so, that sucks :/ This is an essential device to me as a student and to have it just die is a nuisance I've never had on any Android device in the past, not to this degree.

Dec 13, 2022 10:03 PM in response to abdwhb

abdwhb Said:

"iPad bootlooping after I tried to update it via Finder on my MacBook: [...]Hi, I cannot do any of this as I cannot access the OS on the iPad. I cannot even restore it. I guess the only option I have left is to take it to an authorized service provider?[...]"

-------

👍 Taking it to an AASP sounds like a plan to me.

iPad bootlooping after I tried to update it via Finder on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.