Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preserve iOS photo data when importing to Mac OS

Is there no way to preserve album/favorite/etc data mad on iOS photos when importing to Mac OS photos? Seems to me that all you can do is bulk download and recreate your album or select one by one at the import step. Mac OS photos can't see any album or favorites data on the iOS device so there's no way to select or filter quickly. Do I have that right?

iPhone 13

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 7:56 AM

dem1717 wrote:
... Mac OS photos can't see any album or favorites data on the iOS device so there's no way to select or filter quickly. Do I have that right?

That is correct. When you import directly from the iPhone or iPad, the device is treated like a camera. You download the unmodified originals, as saved by the camera on the device.

I would download them instantly to your Mac, before investing too much work on the iPhone or iPad, as the the Photos.app is much more versatile on the Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 7:56 AM in response to dem1717

dem1717 wrote:
... Mac OS photos can't see any album or favorites data on the iOS device so there's no way to select or filter quickly. Do I have that right?

That is correct. When you import directly from the iPhone or iPad, the device is treated like a camera. You download the unmodified originals, as saved by the camera on the device.

I would download them instantly to your Mac, before investing too much work on the iPhone or iPad, as the the Photos.app is much more versatile on the Mac.

Preserve iOS photo data when importing to Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.