Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Music Files to iPad

I have 100 GB of music files on my 2011 MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.5, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5) which I will be retiring. How can I efficiently transfer those files to my a Apple iPad Air 10.9-inch 256GB (5th Gen) that I plan to purchase?

I own a Western Digital 1TB portable drive. Can this be a go-between?

Thank you.

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 11:02 AM

Presumably your music files are included within your iTunes Music Library. This material can be synchronised with your iPad. See:

Sync iTunes content on PC with devices on Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Be aware that this is sync-operation - not a transfer. Should you ever need to reset your iPad, you will need to re-sync your Music Library from your Mac to your iPad.

Copying your iTunes Music Library directly to an external storage device is unlikely to be helpful - as the library cannot be directly transferred to your iPad without the aid of a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Similarly, mp3 files copied directly to the iPad without the aid of a suitable computer will not be accessible or playable by the iOS/iPadOS Music App.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 11:02 AM in response to dabell23

Presumably your music files are included within your iTunes Music Library. This material can be synchronised with your iPad. See:

Sync iTunes content on PC with devices on Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Be aware that this is sync-operation - not a transfer. Should you ever need to reset your iPad, you will need to re-sync your Music Library from your Mac to your iPad.

Copying your iTunes Music Library directly to an external storage device is unlikely to be helpful - as the library cannot be directly transferred to your iPad without the aid of a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Similarly, mp3 files copied directly to the iPad without the aid of a suitable computer will not be accessible or playable by the iOS/iPadOS Music App.

Adding Music Files to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.