Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

encryption credentials have expired message

Trying to resolve a message "encryption credentials have expired". Using MacBook Air OS 13.0.1 and an Epson 7620 printer. Computer won't allow printing, have deleted and reinstalled printer, etc.

Any assistance appreciated!

AB

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 8:16 AM

34 replies

Feb 10, 2023 1:26 PM in response to YanAvery

Thanks - I do indeed live in the future - I'm in NZ which is GMT+13 at the moment (we're in summer time here) so timing was right. Regardless, I *think* the printer thought it was somewhere else as it does print now. Thank you. Your simple method worked - I'll make a note to adjust that printer timezone sometime in the next 10 years! :)

Dec 30, 2022 12:23 PM in response to ab37jr

I deleted the printer, reinstalled it ... deleted all the printers and reset the printer system settings, restarted the computer, etc. First five times times it did not help. Did it again ... and 6th time was the charm.

So I have absolutely no idea what the actual solution was, but I'm working again.

Dec 31, 2022 10:32 AM in response to ab37jr

This error occurs when the Printer's web certificate has expired.

For me, to resolve this problem, I had to go to the printer's web interface, typically using https://<your_printer_name>.local/ and from there, you go to the following menu option:

Network Security Settings -> SSL/TLS -> Certificate.

From there, you choose the "Update" button form the "Self-signed Certificate" section.

This will have you go through the generation of a new self-signed certificate for your printer's web GUI which is also what Apple uses as it goes over HTTPS when communicating with your printer. I left the "10 year" suggested value for the "Certificate Validity (year)" field, this way I don't run into this problem for quite a long time.

Following that certificate update, I removed and re-added the printer from the Apple settings, didn't need to go through any of the Epson utilities.

I hope this helps!

Feb 8, 2023 3:58 AM in response to YanAvery

Thanks YanAvery - simple and clear instructions to follow. However, how long would you expect the process to take. I've copied a snippet from the browser window. It just seems to stay like that and does not refresh / update with any result to say the cert is generated. If I close the window and try the rest of the steps the issue is still there. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dec 30, 2022 4:42 PM in response to MamaShelz

Go to timystic's advice above: "I ended up deleting all the drivers, switching the printer and laptop off for 15 minutes and then installing a driver from Epson directly (you have to make sure that it's set to 13.x which it does not autodetect). Using Epson to install the printer instead of the Apple System interface."

That is what worked for my on two Macs using 13.1.

encryption credentials have expired message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.